Yelling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My coach yells... A lot. Not just at the older girls but at the little ones too. He says mean things to them and often makes them cry. Is this ok?

Never.
Never never.
NEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVER.
Particurally for the little ones. At a young age, gymnastics is supposed to be "fun" and nothing else. Like a playdate almost. Not serious.
My coach yells sometimes, but never says mean things to them.
But think: Is he just being very strict, or is he litarellly being mean?

In a word: NO!!

My coach sometimes "speaks loudly" to us but never yells. Yelling often makes people scared and jumpy, which I know doesn't help me with my gymnastics.

He doesn't speak loudly or just be strict, he YELLS. So the whole gym can hear. The little girls often end up hating gymnastics and their coach. He also uses a lot of sarcasm like: "Oh VERY good" and "You're trying SO hard" which is sad when they are. He also says that alot of the older girls have weight problems and need to lose weight to get a certain skill they really want.

I definitely do not think that's okay!! I would first talk to your parents. If you don't want to do that, you should see if you could talk to another coach in the gym or maybe the owner or even talk to some of your teammates and talk to their parents. It sounds like an environment that a lot of girls dislike. In my opinion that kind of coaching will lead to girls getting hurt, burning out, getting eating disorders, etc. If approaching it like that doesn't work, you should see if there are other gyms in the area. I'm so so sorry! I hope everything gets better :-/

To be honest, after reading this I do not have a very high opinion of your coach. Not knowing what is allowed at what levels (diff. thread) is forgivable if annoyingly ignorant. Non-playful sarcasm, especially directed at a vulnerable person such as a gymnast trying very hard, is not. Is this your main coach/head coach or someone else? How often do you have him? I don't know what to say...

I would be running very far away from that gym...or at least that coach. No way would I let my daughter train with a coach like that.

If I were you, here are the options I would consider:

-Speak to the higher-ups about this problem. They should take you seriously as it is clearly an issue, especially the remarks about weight. If not, refer to option 2.
-Switch gyms, maybe even recommend your friends that they get out too. It's not a healthy environment :(

My coach used to do that but then we got a new coach so its wayyyyy better !!!!!!! Our new coach is so nice.

They only time I have ever yelled at a kid was when their safety was in danger and it was the only way to get their attention. No that's a lie I did yell at one little girl, actually it more more like a louder stern voice when she hit one of my other students and shoved her off the bar, because it my books that is absolutly not okay and I did talk to her mother afterwards. Other than in extreme situations yelling at kids should not be tolerated. As far as comments I have never degraded a kid, I am honest with them though. If they do a skill really poorly and ask me if it was bad I will tell them well yes, I've seen you do it better, try doing ____ next time. That is the extent of that. Someone should be getting involved to stop this. And a gymnats weight should never be brought up, ever. I had eating disorders and they ruin your life and gymnastics career. I do think good nutrition should be the extent of food/weight talk in a gym setting other than that if a child is having problems the coach should talk with her parent and suggest seeing a nutritionist.

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't sound good. I think there are different kinds of yelling, as 10.0 said yelling for safety reasons is okay. There is a coach at our gym who sounds like he is yelling, but it is more that he calls out instructions quite loudly and emphatically. He is strict with the kids, but I don't think he is ever mean, the kids seem to love him.

The sarcastic comments are definitely not on with kids. You can crush a kid's self-esteem with that kind of thing. Telling the kids to lose weight is also dangerous as this can lead to serious health issues. Perhaps some parents could approach the coach's manager to discuss these issues.

His attitude towards the gymnasts is definitely not a rare occurrence. It happens every day. And example was today, during warm up, some girls were chatting while going through our exercises and he out of the blue screamed "EH! ZIP YOUR MOUTH!!!" and then muttered angrily in Russian to himself. This scared a lot of girls at my gym. And he's the head coach.

So many girls have either left or burnt out from this coach and almost all of the girls but a rare few hate gym and that coach but are kept in by parents. He is very harsh to our only level 6 who is only ten years old. All our other level 6's left because of him and I know that means there are many expectations for her but he is unusually cruel. He yells at her for things she doesn't do.

His behavior is unacceptable. From this alone I would not allow my daughter to train at this gym. Add in that he is unaware of new level requirements, I would find a new gym.

This is an unhealthy enviroment that young girls do not need to be exposed to. If the gym is unwilling to do anything about it I would consider looking for a new one.

If you're asking this question then you seriously need mental help.

OF COURSE IT'S WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ya it is wrong people should tell the owner of the gym or at least a higher coach my coach doesnt yell but i guess in a way it is speaking out in a higher voice then normal but that is only when one of the older kids are being disrespectful which thats not good to do to someone who takes time to coach you it doesnt happen that often to the little ones but if they act up they dont yell they just have us sit down for 2 minutes or so, so that your additude cools down but thats it she doesnt yell at all but that coach cant tell people they need to lose weight bc thats their decion and he shouldnt yell but just tell you or whoever that they need to work harder at that thing

He doesn't speak loudly or just be strict, he YELLS. So the whole gym can hear. The little girls often end up hating gymnastics and their coach. He also uses a lot of sarcasm like: "Oh VERY good" and "You're trying SO hard" which is sad when they are. He also says that alot of the older girls have weight problems and need to lose weight to get a certain skill they really want.

this is where i must stop reading this post. pitiful i tell you. :(

When I say yelling, I mean spreaking loud. No way would she yell at us. Ever. Weight should not eb brought up. It leads yp to anorexia/bulimia. And I did a project on it. It's scary stuff. He can say, I have seen you do better, your ____ is not there quite yet, but getting there, etc. Good nutrition is important though. Sometimes the HC brings in a nutrionist, but weight is NEVER mentioned in those discussions, and shouldn't be.

the coach should not yell, or discuss weight. This is very damaging, both mentally and emotionaly. I would talk to the owner or another coach. Possibly talk to other gymnasts and see if they would be willing to join you while speaking to someone about it. The old saying..."There is power in numbers" would come into effect in this situation.

There is a poster in my daughters gym that says..." A distracted gymnast is an injured gymnast" This "distraction" comes in many forms. And a gymnast worrying about her weight, or making sure she does something perfect for fear of being yelled at is distracted, and therefore at even greater risk for injury.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back