WAG Yurchenko pike to Yurchenko layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
How hard do you think it is to move from a Yurchenko pike to a Yurchenko layout? From an outsider's perspective, it doesn't seem that much different, but it is the one skill that dd hasn't got yet, and from what she has told me, none of the other level 9s are quite there yet either. She had a nice Yurchenko pike (never competed it though because of injury), and she says she is close. They've been back since Mid May (there were out about 2 months), but the coach did take vault very slow after they got back. I don't think they did anything but timers for several months. They don't have a pit at the end of the regular vault, so they have not been attempting to land them too often as of yet. Coach isn't worried and says she can compete the pike at the first few meets if she isn't ready with the layout, but definitely expects the layout by the state meet. Just curious how long it took others to transition from pike to layout and if it was easy or a struggle for your daughter?

I’m not really sure, to be completely honest. The days, weeks, months, and years all seem to run together at this point, lol. I want to say though that I think I recall Josc attempting to compete a layout long before she actually got credit for a layout.

I'll be interested in following this. My daughter competed a pike in a few Level 8 meets last year. But I think she is still a long way from competing a layout. She will likely compete pike (9.7 SV) most of the year (in L9) and hopefully have her layout by States.

You will see a lot of pikes in level nine, especially in the younger age groups who are on their first time around. you will also see pikey layouts. DD didn't do a layout, she competed a tuck full, which scored very well for her. From what I recall she had a layout but the tuck full was better so she did that. I wouldn't stress too much- level nine and ten are both whole new beasts and for most it takes time to get the skils. :)

I’m not really sure, to be completely honest. The days, weeks, months, and years all seem to run together at this point, lol. I want to say though that I think I recall Josc attempting to compete a layout long before she actually got credit for a layout.

This was my DD too and vault was her strongest event. Even with the deductions on the layout she still would still do very well on vault at meets.

I think it depends on the kid, but i see quite a few level 10's doing layouts.. so my guess is that it isn't as easy as we think. I believe if your layout is pikey at all it is deduced to a pike..

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely not stressing it. We don't get to watch practice and I have no idea how close she is, but she said that her coach told her she needs to run faster and she'll get it. Vault has never been her favorite or best event. She's definitely a bars/beam gymnast. Floor and vault are just harder for her. I think her coach would have them compete the pike before letting them compete a pikey layout (he is rather particular about that), so I guess that's good... lol

My daughter who was a strong vaulter, never really had a good yurchenko layout (after having a great pike), so ended up doing a great tuck full. There are always options!

Sorry I realized it might be helpful to finish this. You don’t really even need a layout or at least my daughter didn’t. I remember being a little bummed that she just couldn’t get it right, but then she moved on to the tuck full and it was so much easier for her. And in L10 she was able to turn this into a layout full (and more) without ever competing that plain layout.
And yes, running faster will help your daughters vault... the power has got to come from somewhere.

A great pike often overscores an average layout because of the potential shape deductions. I recall watching a Westerns and only a couple layouts beat the best pikes. I wouldn't sweat it.

There is a rather big difference between layouts and pikes because pikes can use heel drive more effectively. It takes time to develop adequate technique and block for a layout.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back