1st Level 4 meet Saturday!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey Everyone!
My first L4 meet is in two days and I am super excited/nervous. I have never gone to a meet before so I don't really know totally what to expect. Today we have our last practice before the meet (which I desperately need) but it's snowing like crazy outside and we didn't have school today either. I really hope practice isn't canceled. If you have read my MENTAL BLOCK thread then you know how much I need a practice. Please wish me luck/pray for me for this meet as I am very nervous!! (especially for beam).

Sending you some good luck karma for beam and for the whole meet. Remember that this is just one meet and you will have many more to come. Enjoy the experience and try to relax. Everyone has their first meet and many girls go to meets feeling like they are not quite ready.

All the girls at the meet want to do their best and be the best, so it is more important to set yourself some goals that have nothing to do with scores or placing. Things like walking to and from to each apparatus confidently or sticking your BHS. GIving yourself goals really helps you to feel succesful as you are the one in control and not the judges.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

Good Luck !!

Bog has some great advice. What I always tell my DD is to have fun, that is most important, and that all she can do is try her best.

Another thing we have learned is if you happen to have a mishap on one event, shake it off - do NOT let it affect any of your remaining events ( easier said than done ). This is important, because you can still do ok if you don't let the mistake carry to other events.

Also, keep in mind that you are not competing against all the other girls there. They will break down into age groups for awards.

Good luck. Most of all remember to smile and have fun.

The Meet

Sorry for the super long delay in letting you know how it went.
I am not too happy about it, so I didn't want to say anything but here it goes anyway.

The meet I competed in was a "fun meet" Basically you are only competing against yourself. You never know what score you got (which I don't really like) they just give you a ribbon based on how well you did. Blue is the highest, followed by red, then white, then yellow, and then purple.

Blue: 9.00-8.00
Red: 7.9-7.00
White: 6.9-6.00
Yellow: 5.9-5.00
Purple: 4.9 or lower

The scoring was different for each level. What I have listed above was the scoring for level 4.

Ok, so here's how I did:

Floor: We started on floor and I ended up getting a red. My Dad video taped all the routines so I could watch and see where the deductions came from. I noticed a lot of bent legs in leaps and jumps that I never felt in the routine. Then I also was/am going through an annoying mental block with connecting the roundoff to the bhs, so I just did a roundoff, stopped, and did a bhs standing. That caused me to be off from the music, and the bhs was very bent and ugly. I am guessing my red was a very low red.

Vault: Next was vault. Vault is probably my strongest event. I am happy we got two tries though, because my first vault was very piked and I could really feel it. The second one felt great and I got a ton of power and speed! I was very happy with my ribbon color, which was Blue.

Bars: During warm-ups for bars we each got to do two bar routines. Those bar routines were probably the best ones I have ever done! I didn't even have to try to stay up on the shoot through, It felt great. Then, when it was actually time to compete, I fell backward on the shoot through, causing me to go from a blue to a red. That was frustrating but it happens so a red is good too I guess.

Beam:
Well I mentioned in my post that I was very nervous for beam. I surprised myself and did better than expected. I did fall off, right after the handstand, landed, wobbled, and jumped off. Everything else went pretty well though. I definitely need to work on the turns and jumps though. I ended up with a red.

It was all in all a fun day and a good learning experience for what meets are like. My next one is January 17 and I can't wait. Thanks for listening to my long post. Sorry, I kinda just went on and on.

hey

hey i hope you do great and im in L8 and theres no reason to be nervous because i no u willl do great and just take the meet lik its a normal practice and just hv fun because from experence u always do better!!!!!:):)

Sounds like you did great for your first meet. Now you know what it feels like and it should help you to be more calm at your next meet. Sending you good luck!

Nice Job! I am sure that you'll do better next time. The first meet is always the hardest. I hope you do super duper good!

Best of luck at your next meet! My DD had some meets that scored like that as well this season but they did give the girls actual scores written on a card. The coaches brought them to the girls the following practice.

Yeah, I wish we got cards with our actual scores. At the last meet my little sister (being the bold little girl she is) went up to the judge and said "What was my sister's score," the judge said I got a 7.0.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back