Coaches 1st time coaching brand new team gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am new here so I am sorry if this has been asked before!!

I will be starting to coach the new level 3 team this summer at my gym and continuing into the season. I have experience coaching rec classes and helping out with the Mason Dixon team. I am wondering if anyone can offer any tips on how you expose your newly competitive gymnasts (that have never competed before) to the concept of competitive gymnastics, and the difference between rec gym (when usually the gymnasts are there to talk to their friends and swing like monkeys on the bars) and team (where it is more serious and they are there because they actually like gymnastics or their parents forced them to be there). I really want to make a good first impression the first day I meet these girls, as every coach hopefully does, but I also want them to be clear that they are on a team instead of just in a rec class.. I am trying to prepare everything I can before the summer practices start (like drills and progressions, skill charts perhaps, etc.) and I would like to plan for this aspect of gymnastics, too. Maybe a binder with weekly goals would help with this? What do you all think or have experienced success with? Thank you all in advance!

Geez, you sure don't ask for much...... or maybe you do. You'll get some help, but you're gonna have to wait for people to figure that stuff out for themselves before they can do justice to your question with an answer. I've been there and back more than a few times, and have some thoughts forming, but no time to set you in my direction, and that's all it will be, the things I do that work for me.

So figure the help you're offered on this subject is not the gospel, it's just what each person feels.

Later

I am new here so I am sorry if this has been asked before!!

I will be starting to coach the new level 3 team this summer at my gym and continuing into the season. I have experience coaching rec classes and helping out with the Mason Dixon team. I am wondering if anyone can offer any tips on how you expose your newly competitive gymnasts (that have never competed before) to the concept of competitive gymnastics, and the difference between rec gym (when usually the gymnasts are there to talk to their friends and swing like monkeys on the bars) and team (where it is more serious and they are there because they actually like gymnastics or their parents forced them to be there). I really want to make a good first impression the first day I meet these girls, as every coach hopefully does, but I also want them to be clear that they are on a team instead of just in a rec class.. I am trying to prepare everything I can before the summer practices start (like drills and progressions, skill charts perhaps, etc.) and I would like to plan for this aspect of gymnastics, too. Maybe a binder with weekly goals would help with this? What do you all think or have experienced success with? Thank you all in advance!

Culture shock - When kids move from rec. to team...that's what they get...take it or leave it. Make sure you have a structured rec. program and you will have less shock.

As far as the rest of it...be more specific...and just keep posting here.

Did you do competitive gymnastics yourself? Will you be the only coach for this group?

Just trying to get a little more info before I answer.

Also, they don't come from any kind of preteam?

how you expose your newly competitive gymnasts to the concept of competitive gymnastics, and the difference between rec gym (when usually the gymnasts are there to talk to their friends and swing like monkeys on the bars) and team (where it is more serious and they are there because they actually like gymnastics or their parents forced them

The first thing you have to do is figure out what each child's concept of team gymnastics is. Then you compare your concept to their's and try to find a middle ground that favors their concept, but constantly drifts to your concept. Use a lot of positive energy to pump the kids up whenever they accomplish anything, no matter how small, not with a bunch of syrup and sweet talk, but genuine praise for genuine effort.

That's how you get them rolling during the initial stage where you're favoring their concept, and praise is easy enough to come by while they do things they're invested in. In other words they're excited and delighted to be there, and it'll make your role as coach easier if you give them manageable tasks they can quickly receive praise for. They'll be ready to begin the shift to your concept when they realize they've been there and done that, and it's time to look for new challenges for which they'll be praised.

The most important things are to constantly challenge them with things they're close to and can picture themselves learning, to create a fun atmosphere by finding humor with them in the work you're doing, and to go over the top with absurdity with praise the nearly mocks the process of praise..... they seem to really get a kick out of a theatrical coach who can be provoked to a positive, overdone rant.

I really want to make a good first impression the first day I meet these girls, as every coach hopefully does, but I also want them to be clear that they are on a team instead of just in a rec class..

Start the first practice with the typical warm-ups they may be used to, and follow it with a brief "get to know me" speech to let them know what two role you feel most important in, like keeping them safe from accidents or peer bullying, and respecting them while they respect you. Add to your speech each day with another small tidbit until you've laid out the entire coach-gymnast relationship you're looking for.

Follow that with constant reminders when they wander off course and go beyond the group's goals for behavior, effort, and respect. Include, in that reminder process, the most important member of the group responsible for their direction and progress, because what's good for the gymnast is good for the coach, and that's just a good thing for the team you're trying to build.

Keep in mind it's a long process, and work bit by bit to get it right for all of you.

Good luck, and have a blast!

after you settle in, have a few mock meets.. also put them up against each other on daily assignments, do some races etc... Get them use to competing and trying to beat each other.

Did you do competitive gymnastics yourself? Will you be the only coach for this group?

Just trying to get a little more info before I answer.

Also, they don't come from any kind of preteam?

Yes, I did gymnastics for 18+ years up to Level 10 (fairly recently too). I'm pretty sure I will be the only coach for this group and yes they will be coming from a pre-team but I don't coach that team and the coaches that do have a different coaching style that I don't necessarily agree with but I do respect it. I think this topic gives me a little trouble because I personally can't remember what even helped me transition from rec to team since it was so long ago, and I just really want to make sure from Day #1 that I have control over the team and have clear expectations set out, without making any of them quit the team! I just really want to be a good coach, so I am trying to ask for any advice that anyone is willing to take the time to give me. Thank you and I look forward to your reply!

The first thing you have to do is figure outwhat each child's concept of team gymnastics is. Then you compare your conceptto their's and try to find a middle ground that favors their concept, butconstantly drifts to your concept. Use a lot of positive energy to pump thekids up whenever they accomplish anything, no matter how small, not with abunch of syrup and sweet talk, but genuine praise for genuine effort.

I'm sorry if I was asking for too much! I just thought the community here would have great ideas to point me in a positive direction. But thank you so much for taking the time to respond in a more detailed explanation, I really like and agree with your ideas and will be putting them to use soon!! When I read over it, it seems like it should be common sense and such a silly question for me to be asking...but honestly just hearing what works for other people helps remind me the significant yet small aspects on how to carry out the transition process. So thanks again, I appreciate it :)

after you settle in, have a few mock meets.. also put them up against each other on daily assignments, do some races etc... Get them use to competing and trying to beat each other.

Yes, I definitely think mock meets and challenges that have them compete against each other would be beneficial to them learning about the competition process! Thank you for reminding me :)

I'm sorry if I was asking for too much! I just thought the community here would have great ideas to point me in a positive direction. But thank you so much for taking the time to respond in a more detailed explanation, I really like and agree with your ideas and will be putting them to use soon!! When I read over it, it seems like it should be common sense and such a silly question for me to be asking...but honestly just hearing what works for other people helps remind me the significant yet small aspects on how to carry out the transition process. So thanks again, I appreciate it :)

No worries...... you asked a reasonable question and seem to be collecting what you can use from what's being offered. I'm very pleased with your observation about how it should be common sense, because that's what it takes. What's interesting to consider is that one coach's common sense may barely resemble what seems sensible to another coach.

You said that the pre-team coaches had a style you couldn't embrace, but could/would respect. That, as long as the kids are progressing and feel emotionally "whole," is the way it works best, because each of us can only do our best work when "it makes sense." Include the kids in that class of people who do their best when "it makes sense," and you pretty much will get it right every time........ as long as you can teach the kids what should and shouldn't make sense to them. ;)

yes they will be coming from a pre-team but I don't coach that team and the coaches that do have a different coaching style that I don't necessarily agree with but I do respect it.

Hmm, I guess you'd have to elaborate on that but I don't know how identifiable it would make your situation and I understand if you don't want to put too much info out (and I would highly recommend trying to stay anonymous on these forums anyway).

But basically, I think the number one thing is to start with shaping and basics and have the first practices like, 100% scheduled with all the groundwork you need. Try to add some fun things like using mini tramps or whatever so it isn't boring but still productive, very basic work so they understand you later on as you coach them on form/shapes. Explain to them why they have to do this work and how it is essential to learning higher level skills. Tell them about being level 10 and an example from you personally of how a long time of basic work culminated in getting a skill.

It sounds like you're very young and combined with being a high level gymnast the girls will LOVE you. Many girls that age (7-10) highly look up to older teens/young 20s young women.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back