WAG 2 Tumbling Passes at Level 9

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Empowered

Proud Parent
I would love to get some coach/parent opinions on this concept. My daughter got her new floor routine and despite tumbling being her strong suit, and dance being her nemesis, they choreographed her a level 9 routine with only 2 tumbling passes.

Her coach told her 3 passes aren't necessary at 9 or even 10 and that the 3rd pass just opens room for deductions. I personally haven't ever seen a level 9 routine with only 2 passes in my daughter's old region (Region 1), but we are in a new region and I haven't yet seen a meet here.

Her 2 passes are 1 1/2 - front pike (possibly with a whip) and fhs - f layout - front pike. Are judges going to look at this as being difficult enough? Would love to hear some opinions.

We had a gymnast who only did two passes as a level 9 and scored very well. I think she scored something like a 9.5 at regionals. She had a 10 start value and met all of the requirements. She actually received a lot of compliments from judges for her very clean routine. However, for level 10 she plans on doing 3 as she doesn't have enough bonus otherwise.

One of my teammates only had 2 passes for level 9 and multiple judges told her they were taking a deduction for it. I'm not sure what deduction it is but when she added a third pass, her scores were noticeably higher.

Hopefully coaches will chime in, but I would think if you're in a region where the norm is 3 possess, and a gymnast does only 2, then judges might view that as not to the level of competition and deduct, even if they have all their requirements. But I know I have asked this before and several coaches said Having 2 is just fine - I guess it really depends on the judges and the region/area.

My daughter had 3 tumbling passes but I don't think she needed 3. Her second tumblng pass only had a full, front pike. She had enough to fulfill the requirements and bonuses with two tumbling passes. I think emphasis should be on whether your daughter is doing the tumblng passes she currently has well. As long as the skills she has in the routine are what she does best, I don't see why you need to pad it up with another tumbling pass. I think the benefit of an extra tumbling pass is it can serve as a back up just on case you miss doing a requirement. My daughter had a few tumbling passes she could do in her routine going into L9. She knew the requirements she needed to hit. Depending on her warm up, they switch her tumbling passes around. It seems to me it is six of one or half dozen of the other.

We were discussing this in another thread awhile back, though I can't find it right now. 2 passes at level 9 is fine.

In fact it's completely possible (in theory) to construct a level 10 routine with only 1 tumbling pass. Specifically, RO-back 3/2-Front lay-front 1/1. Add a turn and a leap series with a D included somewhere in there, and you have a 10.0 start value routine at level 10 with only one pass.

We were discussing this in another thread awhile back, though I can't find it right now. 2 passes at level 9 is fine.

In fact it's completely possible (in theory) to construct a level 10 routine with only 1 tumbling pass. Specifically, RO-back 3/2-Front lay-front 1/1. Add a turn and a leap series with a D included somewhere in there, and you have a 10.0 start value routine at level 10 with only one pass.
==
I would like to see that. :)

Me too! That routine, while harder than the average JO level 10 routine, is certainly doable by a strong tumbler. I have zero doubt that there are plenty of gymnasts in the US who are capable of doing it.

In region 3, one team always and only does 2 passes for Level 9 for all its gymnasts. The gym's gymnasts consistently place or win fx and have medaled every year at Westerns.

This is interesting. I have no clue what level my DD will be this season but I enjoy seeing what options are out there to meet the requirements for different levels. My DD is training all kinds of stuff so it isn't obvious from watching the occasional practice what level she will land at. I think our gym does 3 tumbling passes for level 8 and up...she had 3 in her level 7 routine but coach took all the girls down to two passes for 7 state meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back