2nd level 6 meet is done

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
Dd's second level 6 meet is over. I don't even know what her AA score was, but she scored in the 8's on all events and she improved on 3 of the 4. I consider that a great meet and she is very happy with how she did.

It was interesting though, because we could not figure out what happened with beam. She scored a full point lower on beam than 2 weeks ago, yet to me (the untrained eye) the routines looked almost identical - with wobbles in the same spots and everything. They gave out a booklet with deductions listed for all the events. So we read through it together. Most of it meant nothing to me, but dd was able to pick out things that she realized she was doing wrong. We went back and looked at the video again and she saw more things that she did wrong. What is frustrating is that the coaches have not been correcting this stuff in practice and dd had no idea she was doing anything wrong until reading the score book and then watching her video. Hopefully now though she can make these small changes and improve at the next meet. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Oh my goodness YES, this has happened to us too. Fortunately, we left that gym after that season... other issues as well... BUT.... It was so frustrating for DD's L5 season. I also had a little booklet when DD was in L5/6. (Didn't have to worry in L4 b/c that gym really knew their stuff!) The text clearly stated what they needed to do and what deductions they'd receive, but our coaches wanted to "do their own thing" for compulsories. (DD had switched gyms for her best friend, who then up and quit!) Such simple things like holding that scale on beam for 2 seconds (I think that's what it was... long time ago). Holding that handstand dismount, etc. Tiny things that really added up on deductions. It was sooo frustrating, yet the owners didn't really care about any of it.

Oh and regarding the big difference in scores from one meet to the next... you really can't compare them unless the same judges are working both meets. It can be really frustrating, esp. if they both look the same to us!

A few coaches have mentioned here that this happens sometimes when a coach feels that a the way particular skill is done in a compulsory routine hinders the progression to a higher level skill. In those cases, some coaches will choose to train the girls in the more logical (or correct, depending on how you look at it) skill even though they are aware it will get deductions. These are gyms who are looking toward the future and don't worry so much about score in the lower levels. There are other coaches who just may not be aware of the deductions until the first couple meets when they see the scores are lower than expected.

Well, I honestly thought her beam score was too high at the first meet and it had seemed this meet was a little low. It is really probably somewhere in the middle and after realizing all the things she has been doing wrong, she was probably scored more right at the second meet.

It is frustrating because her coaches have been coaching this level for years and years - I think 18 at this gym in fact. So I feel they should know how to teach it right. Oh well, we won't be switching gyms, we are very happy there, but just frustrated sometimes.

I have learned in the past three years never compare scores from meets in the past. It will drive you crazy. I mean each meet you probably have a different judge on the event and there is probably one thing your daughter did different. The only time I worry is when the coach has the what the h*** look on her face lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back