2nd meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

She looked great but the judges were SOOOOOOO tough!!
She did her new vault with a full twist in it and scored well on it.

Floor 8.925 5th

Bars 8.50 1st (you know they were hard when this is the top score) When she got this we were all like - what were the big the deductions for with a 10 start value???

Beam 8.40 4th (again hard judges)

Vault 8.90 2nd

AA 34.725 2nd and this was one of the higher AA scores for the night in all the levels

By the end of second round her coach threw his hands in the air shaking his head - at the end of the meet he was talking to the girls and told them he thought the judging was very tough so don't feel bad if your scores are lower than what you hoped for that everyone did very well and placed well at the meet. Video to come.

Congrats to your DD for holding it together despite the lower than usual scores. At least the judges were uniformly tough. Just another reminder why making goals based on scores isn't always the best game plan.

sounds like she had a great day even though the scores were lower than expected. As long as they are consistent throughout the meet it works out ok.. looking forward to the videos.

It is so tough for the girls to understand when the judging is extremely low (or extremely high for that matter). I'm glad there were some great placements! Congrats!

Congratulations to you dd! Sounds like she had a great meet. I'm still new to this, but I don't think I'm ever going to understand gymnastics scoring.

HI Cher,

What level is your daughter competing? I have some memory of reading either 7 or 8. We were at a meet this weekend with very tough scoring as well....there were so many 7s and 8s they had to hold a 3rd session of combined 7/8.

It was fun to watch the 8s as I really didn't know what their vault/bars were. It looked to me that the vaults had some sort of twist to them...I'm sure there's a name, I jsut don't know it.

After the same vault at 5, 6 and now 7, it seems that moving on to a new vault will be good.

Just curious!

And agreed, tough when scores are lower than usual. Our meet had very few 9s, at both level 7 and 8. But the girls do seem to understand (on some level) that some meets are tougher than others!

Agreed -- the low scores can be alarming, but as long as the ordinals make sense, a medal's still a medal. That's a great outing for your daughter!

Can't believe those scores were from a local SQ! Around here, those are usually scored much more generously.

Vault -- very pretty. Our team sticks with the FH for L7; it's nice to see something different!
Bars -- nice clear hips! She's very smooth. Loved how controlled the cast to handstand was (a lot of our team girls have been going over).
Beam -- oh, how I hate full turns! Too bad about the BWO-BWO. Glad to see her stick that BHS!
Floor -- her tumbling's quite solid, but what I really loved was her expression in the dance. She uses her arms well! Looks like her coaches do not just turn out tumbling robots.

(Caveat emptor -- the impressions of someone who doesn't know a whole lot about the sport.)

at our gym if they have the L8 skills that can count at L7 they can do it and she has been dying to move to this vault from the FH. Our HC is also a dance instructor but we have alot of girls that are tumblers and their presentation needs work My DD has always been good with the presentation and dance moves.

We couldn't believe the scores either from a local qualifier not even an invitational. Maybe they were all hungry LOL

Very well done, she looked like she needed a giant in the end of that bar routine, glad she gets to work and add them in! Good job on vault too, especially the second one! Who choreographed?

Her coach is also a dance techer so she does all the floor routines. The Beam routines the girls put together themselves with coach approval. they are supposed to have the same feel as their floor.

she has had high 9's without the giants last year on bars and usually places 1st or 2nd.

I really liked her dance in her floor routine. Also, since I haven't watched many routines at this level, I liked how you had the scores and the placements for each events in the video.

I use Windows Movie maker - its easy with that. The hard part is getting the video from the camera to the computer LOL. Once that is done its easy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back