A Gymnast's story

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tumblequeensmom

Proud Parent
Hi everyone. I came across a blog that is being written by a very talented ex-gymnast. She achieved L10 at age 13, was selected to become part of Tatiana Perskia's elite training group at Capital Gymnastics NTC, and then quit gymnastics about a year when her body began to break down. She is a high school student and an extremely talented writer. To view her gymnastics story, scroll down the screen and her journey is written in "parts 1, 2, etc." on the right side of the screen. It truly is enlightening! Enjoy.

Keeping Balance

PS. I did contact her and ask for her permission to post the link.

Thank you so much for sharing this TQM!!! Very enlightening, indeed. Makes you really think doesn't it??? I would hate for my dd to grow up and I find out years later that she secretly hated what she was doing or felt like she could not tell me that she wanted to quit. I always re-evaluate my family's situation every year and ask the kids if they want to continue what they are doing or try something else. I want it to be their decision.

I read this blog and almost cried for this young girl. She is left with lifelong scars from a sport that started out fun. It very sad it took her so long to find her voice. I am glad she finally did. I am betting she will be a great coach if she dedcides to stay with it.

it is a reminder to all of us as parents to ask the tough questions of our kids about thier sport. Thanks for sharing

I read this blog and almost cried for this young girl. She is left with lifelong scars from a sport that started out fun. It very sad it took her so long to find her voice. I am glad she finally did. I am betting she will be a great coach if she dedcides to stay with it.

it is a reminder to all of us as parents to ask the tough questions of our kids about thier sport. Thanks for sharing

There is a part of her blog where she has recent videos of her going back to bars and tumbling, just for the fun of it again.... So I think whatever scars she has or had, she may be overcoming them just by doing it for FUN again!! She still looks fantastic too!

I REALLY enjoyed reading that. I flagged it so I can keep up with her new blogs. I LOVE her sense of humor. Even with all she went through, she has a wonderful way of looking at it all.

Wow, I think it is a must read for parents of any kid in gymnastics, especially kids training for "elite" or in high stress training groups. Read her 5 part (so far) story, it is just heartbreaking. And her mom didn't know. Just shows that the wheels to quit start turning far sooner than the words are ever spoken, that kids don't always tell us what is going on in their hearts and that you need to watch for subtle signs that there is trouble at the gym.

Thanks for sharing!

I've bookmarked the blog and will go back to read it. What a well-spoken young woman! Thanks for sharing the link.

Thank you, Virginiacoach... I appreciate that (whoever you are!) I am Courtney's mom. And yes, I asked - on a regular basis - all the right questions. Are you happy? Do you want to keep doing this? Courtney always said she was "in." She sometimes asks me now to come watch her do bars when she is off work. And yes, it still brings tears to my eyes when I watch her pop off with those Tkachevs and double-layout full dismounts. That smile on her face is a real heart-warmer, too, both in the gym and at home and elsewhere. : D

Susan, you have done a remarkable job w/Courtney. She is an intelligent girl who has a true gift w/her writing. She has learned valuable lessons with regard to developing a strong work ethic and discipline. These skills will get her far in life. I am hoping she will return to gymnastics somehow in the future. She is obviously remembering the joy that the sport brought to her when she was younger. My daughter with to the "step sister" of her gym many years ago, so we always knew who the "stars" were!!! Good luck to her and I hope she keeps up w/her blog. I think it offers something to all of us here!

oh! her blog is amazing. definitely book marked it! poor girl, looks like she went through physically and emotionally ): can't wait for an update :D

Wow! I love reading those kinds of stories. Gymnastics is such an amazing sport that instills so much in people :) I too bookmarked her blog so I can check back in and read new posts!

I'm absolutely amazed that this child is complaining about all of this. She never had to be a part of any of it. It was her and her parents choice for her to participate in elite group. Also, it was their choice for her to quit or not.
Every parent has absolute authority over their children. Perhaps her parents didn't want her to quit. They were going through troubles of their own, so maybe they thought it would keep her out of trouble, who knows? The child crying on the sofa holding her stuffed animal left alone speaks volumes about her parents.
The fact that she kept on after elite group for years and she still is doing gymnastics probably means she still likes gym. There are a lot of coaches and gyms out there. Change or quit for heavens sakes, it's too expensive.
I'm glad she is writing about this for her own healing. She obviously needs to.

Well, Blaster, it appears you just came to this site to "blast" this individual. I don't know this girl personally, or anything about her story other than what is written on her blog, but I do feel like I can make a few statements. For people who are truly passionate about gymnastics, and I don't just mean those who like gymnastics at this moment or who love it right now but will eventually move on, but those with a deep and honest passion for the sport, quitting is a scary thought. Regardless of any pressure she felt from other people, she probably also placed a good deal of pressure on herself and had at least some of her dreams and plans for the future rooted in gymnastics. With those things in mind, combined with the heap of good memories she undoubtedly had from her earlier years in the sport, actually quitting probably seemed unfathomable. Leaving behind something of such great importance at any stage in life is a challenge, but especially for a child who has used gymnastics as some sort of neutral ground in the midst of changes in other aspects of life. It's not that easy to just throw in the towel.

Coach Molly, you put that more diplomatically than I could. I was wondering if this person registered for this particular reason, especially after reading comments on Courtney's blog which made me :mad:.

I read the blog tonight. While she should be proud of her gymnastics talent and career, being able to put her life experience to print in such an honest & heartfelt way at her age is quite a gift too! I can't wait to read the next entry, she is wise beyond her years!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back