Parents A little disappointed...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All kids are different, so it really bugs me when people generalize and assume they know about all children based on their experiences with children. Children do develop at different rates and do have different levels of understanding. For some children, it may be entirely appropriate to start gymnastics early. There may be others for whom it will never be a good fit. There's no reason to laugh, or assume that you know more about their child's level of physical and emotional development than they do. I have 3 supposedly normal children, one thrived on structure at 3, one that's 10 that I fear may never be able to cope with structure, and a third who is in the middle.

Children do develop at different rates and do have different levels of understanding. For some children, it may be entirely appropriate to start gymnastics early. There may be others for whom it will never be a good fit.

While I agree there are exceptional 3yo kids that can succeed in an "advanced" format, I also know they are few and far between. That's an observation based upon many years experience as a coach, and while I would never flat out say that no 3yo can handle advanced classes, I will say they are too young to participate in a decision that funnels them into what very well could be 20 years of gymnastics. I don't know if you can fully appreciate the context, but geez, some of these kids can't even decide if they prefer "Huggies" or "Pampers".

I dare say there is not a 3yo alive who can ponder taking that step to an advanced class may lead to several other steps that result in doing more gymnastics because that's been the norm as long as they can remember, and fall into more of "doing the norm" as a reflex rather than a passion. They may enjoy going to class, but I gotta believe they'd also enjoy a lot of other things that can be equally, if not more rewarding, and in that sense I see potential for missing out discovering an even greater gift, or more intense and satisfying passion.

I regret that you perceived my slight was aimed at parents who innocently jump on the 3yo bandwagon. It was actually a jab at the growing number of gymnastic establishments that promote these "pre-pre-pre-team" programs. The sheer number of them is proof alone kids are being "selected" that are not the rare exception, and that's why I put my "face in hands" to suppress my amusement at the fact that there may very well be a population of 20,000 3yo's with "exceptional talent" who really aren't.

As I told the original poster..........
No big deal one way or the other, as long as she's begging for more. If she want's to get into the other class, but isn't yet invited, she's begging for more. I'd keep it like that as looooong as possible.

It was actually a jab at the growing number of gymnastic establishments that promote these "pre-pre-pre-team" programs.

That's an interesting point. Makes it sounds like some of these classes might be being created to generate a market by exploiting ambitious parents (rather than being about any benefit to the actual kids)...

Well, I suppose that after each of the approximately 5000 clubs gleen two or three olympic hopefuls each year, their next priority may be $$$$$, for some of them that is..........

I think the question is not whether a 3 year old can cope with team/pre team, but what benefit is it to the child?

Everything I have come across, as a coach, ex gymnast, on here, tells me that there is no advantage to a child starting at 3 rather than 5. Then take into account the chances of the child burning out quicker, doing it because they don't know anything else, or doing it for parents/coaches rather than themselves, and you are increasing the likelihood the child will quit sooner rather than later.

So I don't care whether the child is the exception, I don't think it's appropriate for a 3 year old to be doing team gymnastics. It should always be about fun at that age. If a child is identified as talented that early, as the most a slightly more focussed rec class, but still no more than an hour or two a week of gymnastics. Again, as a coach I'd be sending the child off to do ballet and dance for a couple of hours rather than add more gym time.

I'm pretty sure that everyone is aware that kids develop at different rates and that some three year olds would cope better with structure than others and some kids would enjoy gymnastics at three where some might still need an afternoon nap and not want to be separated from mummy.

I think (and I'm sorry if I speak out of turn) the amusement stems from the suggestion that a child might be disadvantaged as a gymnast by not being picked for pre-team at three. That clearly isn't the case and no-one was laughing at the op but just trying to reassure them of that reality. Whether they choose to draw on their experience as a coach of many years or from experience of kids in their own child's team, the consensus on this issue seems to be the same, and in the end our experiences are what we have to share on this forum.

One of these days I'll learn that (^^^^^^^) less is more when posting to a thread. You framed the majority of my sentiments it just two paragraphs......I think I'll go sulk the rest of the day.

LOL. Actually I cheated cos I have something else to say, which would have made the post longer...

How is it that so many parents are made to feel that their child might be under-achieving if they are not moved on, moved up, put on pre-team, team or whatever before they can tie shoe laces? And how are loving, caring parents made to feel that they are doing their child a dis-service if they don't have them at the gym three times a week at such a young age.

We see it on here such a lot. I really feel for new parents because the the misconception that it's necessary to picked out as a tot is obviously coming from somewhere and of course they don't know what to do for the best. I remember overhearing a dad at daughter's first gym telling a new mum that only a very small number of kids would ever get to do national grades (not even the elite grades) because they would have to have started before they were five. I just don't get it :confused:

new to thread
good i think perspective i saw today
other gym parent with 14 y o and 5 y o
older girl v good
coach asking mom to sign young one up more sessions.
mom saying no not yet
her older dd didn't get IT until later and did lots of other activities in the interim and now is The best in the gym
no push no rush !

Good points by all! Letting her be in the "fun class" for a bit longer will make sure love of the sport comes first. I would worry that putting her in a more serious class at 3 would shut that down and make it too much work instead of the fun it should be at this stage of the game. When she is ready they'll let you know, and you'll know because your dd will be begging for it.

I do laugh to myself a little at all the posts about whether it is *too late* for a 3, 4, 5, or 6 year old, but only half-heartedly. I'm definitely guilty of the same worries, though my dd started at 9, and I KNOW she regrets not starting sooner - she would have a lot more opportunities if she had. But --- she just wasn't there yet, and who knows if she would have been ready at a younger age. So 3 is way too young to worry, but 6 or 7, get them in there if they want it. IMO...

That being said, my dd's L5 team has ages 7 to 13 and they all started gym at a wide variety of ages (from 2 to 9) and have been doing gym for a wide variety of time frames (2 to 8 years, give or take). So really, everyone is different, is ready for different things at different times, and will move at their own pace. It's hard (sometimes *really* hard), but you have to just let the process work for itself. And trust that it will.

as i have posted before, 3 year olds are figuring out how to wipe themselves properly, brushing their teeth properly, etc; you could never equate spotting "talent" with this age group when most can't put full sentences together. these gyms that do so just want your "disposable income" sooner and then longer depending on how long you buy in to this. balderdash is what it is.

I don't think it's such a bad idea to have two different preschool classes, one for kids who can pay attention well and another for those who can't. That way the ones who run off all the time aren't grouped with the ones who can stand in line and follow directions. The problem comes when the class for kids who can pay attention is also used or sold as the pathway to team.

She's 3. I really don't think any thing other than that needs to be said.

If she has natural talent, that will come through and be evident. You state that you can't help feeling a tad sad for your DD. Um...why? She is too young to be heartbroken--or have a negative emotional response to not being in the developmental class. She doesn't know the difference. SHE isn't feeling sad about this. So neither should you. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back