A little disturbed by a Youtube video, opinions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mariainlv

I was looking at a youtube video that a friend favorited. Ugh, it was a 4 year old doing things that scared me. Don't get me wrong, she was a strong, talented little girl. But goodness, she is 4... I thought it was a bad idea for kidlets that little to do repeated bridges, back walkovers, etc? I still limit my gymmie and she is 7. I worry about their backs. She was doing tucks that look like whips and each time I worried she would crash and break something. Doing back walkovers on beam and just crashing. Granted its a floor beam but still, man she could get hurt..

I think the bigger issue for me is that I added to the problem. I looked and fed the ego that is driving putting this on Youtube. If no one watched, would they still drive the kids to do this stuff? Maybe but I bet it would be less. Let me be clear, I think Youtube is a neat vehicle to share and I use for J, mostly so friends and family can see her meets. I can't imagine me going to the gym and filming solely for the sake of Youtube.

Ok off my soapbox, just skeeved me out.

These kinds of people freak me out too. I restrain myself from commenting because even negative feedback feeds that beast.

I've really stopped watching youtube videos of gymnastics - especially ones labeled things such as "4yo doing back tucks!!!!" In our crazy competitive world many people use their children for reflected glory on themselves. I try to remind myself that my children need to grow to be independent and autonomous citizens of the world. I would also like them to be proud of their own accomplishments for the accomplishment itself, not for recognition, praise or awards. Sure, those things are nice - I'm sure it is fun to watch the counter go up on a youtube video - but it sends the wrong message to children that they need to have that external reward to have worth. That makes me sad.

(Ever read Alfie Kohn's Punished by Rewards - very interesting)

I've seen lots of videos like that. Just hope for the best I guess. It makes me cringe a little because there's a point where preschoolers very much aren't physically ready to repeatedly do certain things, even if they're fairly coordinated. They have big heads and while they may be strong, their shoulder and neck muscles don't support very much, and you tend to see the lower back take a lot of the brunt.

I am not really of the school that if they can do it, it won't have any advese effects. Once or twice, sure. But I don't think it's really worth it to be practicing these things (usually not correctly). I saw a video of a little kid doing back walkovers on low beam and she was repeatedly missing her hands and almost hitting her head on the beam. It looked like a shoulder dislocation waiting to happen or something. WHO IS WATCHING THIS AND TAPING IT? common sense applies in gymnastics too. First of all, the kid would probably have just as much fun bouncing on the tramp. Second, what I was seeing was surely no form of gymnastics I recognize, so who is benefiting from this?

Also I'm just going to say I have never seen a kid under six do anything that even vaguely resembles a correct set and back tuck. Not even close. I'd attribute this again to the overly heavy head in proportion to the body, mostly. I'm not saying it isn't hard for them, so maybe it's "impressive" in that sense. But my main reaction to completely bad gymnastics is just to be annoyed at it.

Oh I hear you - the froggy BHS by 4 year olds winds me up too.

I totally agree, it's creepy...
and the thing that worries me-if they are putting this particular clip of their kid "doing" the skill...how many times did the kid fall on their head practicing it so dear parent could tape a "good" skill???
ugh!

Oh, I know what you mean! And it's worse when you can hear the parent filming, saying, quick! Do another one! Or when they are trying to coach the froggy BHS at home. So scary!

Gotta love the fact that these "super kids" can't even compete USAG level 4 until they are 6. You don't even need a back hand spring until then, why have your child do something so dangerous? For what to put it on youtube. Oh well play stupid games win stupid prizes.

I think I've seen the video you're describing, or something similar. I just remember thinking, who's the one in control here, the little kid who hasn't acquired any sort of healthy fear or sense of caution yet, or the parent/coach who knows better than to let a little girl whip herself around in the air with sloppy form? I hope she doesn't get hurt. Glad the CB parents are smarter than that.

I think its fine, obviously she likes doing gymnastics and no ones going to stop her so why not? Sometimes people are just jealus....(not saying you are)

I think its fine, obviously she likes doing gymnastics and no ones going to stop her so why not? Sometimes people are just jealus....(not saying you are)
If she likes doing gymnastics PUT HER IN A CLASS!!! DON'T WAIT FOR HER TO BREAK HER NECK! there is a difference between doing cartwheels and handstands and walkovers when they get a bit older in the backyard and doing back handsprings which ought to be called back headsprings and back tucks!

Lol, when I see a little kid hitting their head on the beam I'm not motivated by jealousy. I like to see good gymnastics. I do not like to see children risking injury so someone can film it and get a bunch of youtube comments. That's pushing exploitation.

I am sure there are some youtube commenters out there who are jealous (most of them are probably 13 years old or so) but usually they are not commenting on the safety of the situation but saying "I am 4 and can do a full" or some other such nonsense. It's pretty easy to weed out the drivel from true comments of safety standards and emotional well-being. I have coached a lot of 4 year olds who I could get to do a terrible BWO on a low beam and miss their hands and fall and all this other stuff. But why? Why in the world would I bother with such a thing? That's the real question.

ditto gymdog. Why would I teach a kid to back somersault with their head scraping the floor. How pointless. It is dangerous and bad shapes and techniques are incredibly hard to correct later. Teach it later and teach it right. And teach it safe.

I toatally agree, it is not safe to coach skills like that. The child could smack her head on the floor at any time and end up in a wheelchair for life. It is irresponsible coaching and parenting.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back