WAG A must see: Seek The Owl: Sarah Lorish NYU Film Submission [ACCEPTED]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think this really puts into perspective a lot of the anguish, anxiety and concern that can be seen on CB daily - gymnastics is a beautiful phase but it isn't (unless they coach etc) a life. It is important to remember that no matter how agonizing that coaches decision not to put a child on a team/move them up/ let them compete at a particular meet is now, all this will form part of what makes them an adult, and we must be there to help prepare them for this transition from gymnast to adult whilst rejoicing in their journey to get there.

Unless you have a serious injury or put on massive amounts of weight there is no reason why you can't continue to do this sport for your entire lives!

There are many adult competitions in their 40's, 50's, 60's and beyond. I am sure we have all seen that amazing lady on youtube in her 80's competing.

Many countries in Europe and Asia have absolutely massive display gymnastics teams, many made up entirely of adults in their 50's and beyond.

I have never stopped doing the skills myself and demonstrate them every day as a coach.

In most gyms in Australia there are gymnastics classes purely for adults. In my area there is even a whole gym which is only for adults. The gymnasts in these classes vary from absolutely beginners who always wanted to learn back handsprings and back tucks, to amazing ex elite competitors who wish to develop their own skills.

Did anyone else think the owl theme was a reference to the Jane Yolen picture book "Owl Moon," in which a little girl goes out with her dad to search for an owl in the middle of the night and is awestruck when they find one?

A couple weeks ago someone asked for a definition of intrinsic motivation--I think this covers it pretty well.

Aussie, I wish adult gymnastics was popular in the US. It is possible to find classes but they are not common and it's rare to see a gym with more than one level of adult gymnastics. It would be great for the young gymnasts to see that there is a future in the sport.

That is exactly what gymnastics is to so many people. I did gymnastics for 13 years and right now that does seem like such a big part of my life, but when I am 60 I will be happy that I am still a functioning person so it will make my career ending injury not seem like such a big deal. If I kept doing gymnastics, I might not be able to be a functioning adult in say 40 years.
Anyway even though I can't do gymnastics anymore I still have all the wonderful memories and I know it really was my "owl." I will never forget all the great times and even the not so great times I had in gymnastics. I know it gymnastics certainly made me the person I am today.

This is exactly how I feel, even 7 months after retiring. I am still in the gym coaching and judging, doing as much as I can, but its not the same. I would love to train, but the gym took away the class I could train in and said I could do adult class (which is made up of mostly older beginners, which there is nothing wrong with but not what I am looking for and with a inexperienced coach).
I hope to find as much joy in something some day as I did in gymnastics, so far coaching comes the closest.

Wow super hard to watch especially since I'm down to about 4 months left of competing. So grateful to be a part of this sport. So hard to move on to the next step.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back