A spin off from the other elite thread

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My mistake, not Jordan there is another elite who moved to WOGA from Michigan. Yes, I think Jordan is from Michigan.

let's get it straight. jordy was at another gym in michigan and moved to geddert's. but her parents did not move from their house.

rebecca bross went to geddert's. they moved to plano.

got milk?:)

I didn't say that not making it to elite when you want to makes a failure. My question is still about what if they DO make elite, then have problems, growth, injuries, then what? As an elite. How do they get treated by the coaches then. That is what my 2nd post addressed. What happens? I'm still hoping Bog or Dunno answer that part of my post.

The answer to that question would depend on who their coach was.

If the kid has the talent, drive etc and the parents can arrange a job transfer. Then I think it would put less pressure on the gymnast. Other kids, leave their families to live with host families. I think the saddest outcome is when one family has mom and a kid in one city and dad possibly with another kid in another city.

That said, if No One moved their kid for gymnastics, then the US may not have won most of the international medals we have in the past 25 years. Most star elite gymnasts have moved at some point from Mary Lou Retton to Elise Ray to Carly Patterson and Jordan Weiber. Nastia and Shawn growing up in one gym, living in the family house and not moving are the exception and are extremely fortunate to have their families be able to support their elite training at home.

I think moving for gymnastics makes sense if your kid is extremely talented... and has proved themselves in the upper level optionals and is definitely going to be elite.
Mary Lou, I do not think, moved away from her family until she was in the elite realm.

I think moving for gymnastics makes sense if your kid is extremely talented... and has proved themselves in the upper level optionals and is definitely going to be elite.
Mary Lou, I do not think, moved away from her family until she was in the elite realm.

ABSOLUTELY!!! When people talk about moving their compulsory or L7/8 JO kid to a "better" gym to become elite. It just really makes me sad. . .

When I think of the "gamble" I think of someone winning or losing. When you take a gamble on something either it works out or it doesn't. If you go into the elite path with a healthy mindset, I don't see where the loss is if you don't make it. If you uproot your family for your DD or DS pursuing gymnastics, spend tons of money, make all the sacrifices needed etc and your child never makes elite or does make elite, but doesn't make the national team or worlds or olympics, is anything really lost? Did they not still have that experience and learn a lot along the way? Aren't they still an awesome gymnast that you are so proud of?

What about the loss other kids in the family feel? They lose their schools, their friends, their social life (whatever that means for different ages). Yes, something is always lost when a family is uprooted for one child's pursuit of a sport.

But yes, the child is STILL that awesome gymnast whether they succeed at an elite level or not.

ABSOLUTELY!!! When people talk about moving their compulsory or L7/8 JO kid to a "better" gym to become elite. It just really makes me sad. . .

But moving at L7/8 may be the right time as opposed to when they are already a higher level and maybe have learned things incorrectly or are behind in other areas. I would think the earlier they move, the better as far as gymnastics goes.

My friend whose DD was never an elite, (but probably could have been) and I discussed her timing of gym moves and she had an interesting perspective on it. She by the way was a JO AA National Champion and is now a pretty big star in college gym. She moved to an intense elite gym the summer before her junior year. The mom commented to me that in some ways she wished they had moved 5 or 6 years prior, which for her would have been level 9, because her DD could have had a shot at going elite. On the otherhand she said she wasn't sure her DD would have stayed in gymnastics had she had to deal with those coaches for that many years. So in the end she was happy with their decision, but has a few of those regrets.

What about the loss other kids in the family feel? They lose their schools, their friends, their social life (whatever that means for different ages). Yes, something is always lost when a family is uprooted for one child's pursuit of a sport.

But yes, the child is STILL that awesome gymnast whether they succeed at an elite level or not.

That's making an assumption that it's a loss for the other kids in the family, if there are any. Every family is different, everyone has different needs, personalities, circumstances. I think it's making a broad generalization. When I was a kid, even a teenager, I would have had no problem with moving if my parents had wanted to for any reason. I'm not a social person and I wasn't firmly planted. I would have welcomed a change, but that's just me.

For other siblings it could mean many positives. If you move to a new city for a gym, I'm sure you are going to try to live close to that gym. Maybe in the previous circumstances there was a long drive to gym and now this frees up more time for other siblings.

People move all the time for jobs and kids do quite well and make new friends.

The circumstances are too indivdual to make a generalization that it would be a loss for everyone. Some siblings would be happy to support their sibling in pursuing this dream.

I wouldn't do it, but I just don't see a problem with anyone who chooses to do it. If it's within a families ability and they choose to do it, it's not really any of my business to judge.

My parents moved a week before my Sophomore year of HS and I hated them for doing it. I completely rebelled and never forgave them for it. If we would of moved because of a sibling to fulfill his or her dream (in this case gymnastics) I would of held it against them for a very long time. To uproot young children may not be as dramatic, I would think that many teenagers who have their roots in their HS would probably feel like me. I could only image the resentment I would of felt if I knew the move was for one of my siblings without how it affected me and my life too. Can me crazy, but I was ticked at my parents for moving and it had nothing to do with any siblings.

But moving at L7/8 may be the right time as opposed to when they are already a higher level and maybe have learned things incorrectly or are behind in other areas. I would think the earlier they move, the better as far as gymnastics goes.

My friend whose DD was never an elite, (but probably could have been) and I discussed her timing of gym moves and she had an interesting perspective on it. She by the way was a JO AA National Champion and is now a pretty big star in college gym. She moved to an intense elite gym the summer before her junior year. The mom commented to me that in some ways she wished they had moved 5 or 6 years prior, which for her would have been level 9, because her DD could have had a shot at going elite. On the otherhand she said she wasn't sure her DD would have stayed in gymnastics had she had to deal with those coaches for that many years. So in the end she was happy with their decision, but has a few of those regrets.

Even here you mention that your friends dd would of been entering her L9 season. I think this is exactly what everyone else is saying. Most kids that have the "it" factor are very young and in the higher levels already. Nobody is saying you (in the generic sense) can't uproot your (in the generic sense) entire family and relocate for the pure sake of gymnastics when your (in the generic sense) child is 6 or 7 and is a L5, but were just saying it's a long shot at best. It just a more sound decision when the child is in the upper levels (regardless of age) and as I have said before has had a taste of the workload with the 20+ hrs of training and all it entails.

My parents moved a week before my Sophomore year of HS and I hated them for doing it. I completely rebelled and never forgave them for it. If we would of moved because of a sibling to fulfill his or her dream (in this case gymnastics) I would of held it against them for a very long time. To uproot young children may not be as dramatic, I would think that many teenagers who have their roots in their HS would probably feel like me. I could only image the resentment I would of felt if I knew the move was for one of my siblings without how it affected me and my life too. Can me crazy, but I was ticked at my parents for moving and it had nothing to do with any siblings.

You seriously have never forgave them for it? Not judging, just seems a little extreme. For every person like you, there's a person like me who wouldn't have cared less. I was pretty much over high school by the end of my freshman year and was ready to move on. I've never been into the whole social drama of high school or adult life for that matter. I think as a high schooler I was mature enough to not think only about my needs. I have 4 siblings and would have been happy to support them and I would have loved the adventure of moving to a new place.

Even here you mention that your friends dd would of been entering her L9 season. I think this is exactly what everyone else is saying. Most kids that have the "it" factor are very young and in the higher levels already. Nobody is saying you (in the generic sense) can't uproot your (in the generic sense) entire family and relocate for the pure sake of gymnastics when your (in the generic sense) child is 6 or 7 and is a L5, but were just saying it's a long shot at best. It just a more sound decision when the child is in the upper levels (regardless of age) and as I have said before has had a taste of the workload with the 20+ hrs of training and all it entails.

I never mentioned anything about a L5. I said L7/L8 might be a better time than having already reached elite or an upper level.

Becoming an elite gymnast or in the top few percent and potentially competing internationally in almost any art or sport requires sacrifice for the entire family weather the they move or not. Even if siblings do not need to move, there is always vacation time and money spent traveling to competitions, funds needed for special equipment, private tutoring or coaching etc. When people brought up the sacrifice of siblings having to move, I keep thinking of all the other things the siblings have to give up. Shawn Johnson's parents have talked openly about how expensive her training was, imagine if she had a sibling. Terin Humphrey has talked openly about the sacrifices her brother made to help her accomplish her goals. Frankly I think if the family was together, moving would be only a small part of the sacrifices made by the siblings of a potentially top level anything.

PS. I also would have happily moved for my parents, especially in high school, but may have resented it if it were for my sister. Then again, we have a few issues anyway so if there are long term sibling issues the gym is neither the solution nor the cause.

You seriously have never forgave them for it? Not judging, just seems a little extreme. For every person like you, there's a person like me who wouldn't have cared less. I was pretty much over high school by the end of my freshman year and was ready to move on. I've never been into the whole social drama of high school or adult life for that matter. I think as a high schooler I was mature enough to not think only about my needs. I have 4 siblings and would have been happy to support them and I would have loved the adventure of moving to a new place.

Oh well, call me extreme, call me immature at the time! I do believe that my teenage years would of turned out differently if we hadn't moved. In that moment, it was very traumatic to me, a 15 yr old.

Oh well, call me extreme, call me immature at the time! I do believe that my teenage years would of turned out differently if we hadn't moved. In that moment, it was very traumatic to me, a 15 yr old.

this is totally normal for a 15 year old. Social life, high school life and friends are everything to most 15 year olds. In fact most of them think they don't exist without them. Of course those 15 year olds in gymnastics know different! I can't imagine how evil I would have thought my parents were if they tried to move me across country at 15 for something my sister wanted to do.

When you wrote you never forgave them I thought you meant still, which yes seems a little extreme for an adult. I'm not doubting it wasn't traumatic for you, just hopefully now as an adult you understand that parents do the best they can.

I feel like a lot of people on here are so quick to judge other families for their choices and that's what I don't like. Just because a decision isn't right for me or you doesn't make it wrong for another family. I'm sure decisions about gymnastics when you have a super talented kid aren't taken lightly. I'm sure the parents spend many months agonizing over what the right choice is for their child. Most of us are lucky that'll we'll never have to make such a decision because most of us could move our kids to the best elite gym in the country and it wouldn't matter because they just aren't elite material.

Parents do the best they can and I'm glad I'll never be in that position.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back