WAG Aches and pains

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallflower

Proud Parent
Is there a normal age/level where aches and pains become more prevelent? It seem like this year DD seems to have a lot of aches and pains. Nothing serious, just complaints. Knee pain, heel pain, ankle pain etc. Nothing overly concerning. Her heel will hurt for a few days and then is fine. Her knee same thing, then her ankle etc. Nothing ever last for a few days and sometimes is gone by the next morning. I'm just trying to figure out if DD has become extra whiny or if this is normal.

Oh, good. Thank you Dunno. DD is the same. Though she doesn't really whine about it. Sometimes she'll mention something offhand, "oh, yeah, it's been hurting for a couple of days. I iced it at the end of floor today." I sometimes worry that, if something is ever really wrong, I might not hear about it. She does mention it to HC though, I've found. HC will say something like, "if her heel doesn't stop hurting you may want to take her to the doctor" and I'll be like "Heel? Huh?" I feel like an idiot, but at least she's telling someone.

In general, I see the complaints increase, with girls around the age of puberty, when their bodies start growing really fast.

I always feel, if something is bothering them away from the gym, I am more concerned about it, then the general aches and pain that happens during practice.

Tonight DD was stretching before bed. She explained, "I'm just trying to see what hurts. Well, EVERYTHING hurts. But I'm just trying to see what hurts most." And yes... She's 11 1/2... In full prepubescent/growth-spurt mode.

Theres also a difference between being tight (sore when stretching) and other aches and pains that come outside of the gym. Keep stretching if you are tight then it is more likely to get more injuries. When I went through my growth spurt (around 14) I had sore knees, ankles, shins, and lots more that were due to my bones growing faster than my muscles and my muscles not adjusting right away. Keep stretching and it can be partly avoided and go get it checked out when their injured or sore in the same spot for more than a few days.

DD is 7 so she better not be going through puberty yet! She will never tell the coach anything, but she'll tell me. It seems like in the last few months there has been a dramatic increase in her aches and pains. It's mostly heels, knees, ankles. This week it's all about her heels. She's a level 6 so maybe the harder tumbling?

Ice is becoming a good friend.

My DD is 8 and she often complains of hip-area (from bars - she tends to bruise there) or leg pain. Usually it lasts a day or so after practice, and I hear about it most early mornings or right before bed. According to DD, it's more of an ache than sharp pain. We use a lot of heat here - it seems to help her most. And now that I think about it, the legs really seemed to start with the ROBHS on the floor. So yes, it would seem fairly common.

Oh yes the hips looks awful. Half dollar size bruises from those baby giants. She never complains about that hurting.

Yeah maybe she is growing. It would be about time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back