WAG Acro class on the side?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymnastMomX2

Proud Parent
My DD (new lvl 4) has been dancing in addition to gymnastics for the past year, her dance teacher really wants her in her acro class (can't imagine why ;)) in addition to the jazz class she has been taking. Of course DD wants to do it, but would this be a bad idea? Would they teach skills with different/bad technique? Or would more dance be helpful to her. DD really wants to do it.. if that makes a difference, and actually had been asking before the dance teacher emailed me this morning.

When DD was doing YMCA gymnastics she also did acro and her coach hated it. We were doing it, at least in part, to make up for the low hours she got in the Y gym, so my response was always, "you get her more gym time, she'll quit acro" but still, the coach thought it would teach bad habits and/or that she would get injured (though this coach was a big fan of home trampolines, which I think would cause more bad habits and more injuries, but hey, what do I know? I'm just a mom.). Anyway, my point (yes, I truly do have one) is that your DD's coach probably LOVES the fact that your DD takes dance, but may not love the idea of an acro class. You may want to check with him/her before you commit.

That said, DD loved her acro class and I think she missed that more than she missed the Y gym when she switched.

Yeah I'd check with her coach. If its a good dance studio then hopefully technique will be taught well. We just got a new little girl that's been doing dance and she has beautiful ariels and flipflop stepouts.

I would not do it. They want her in the class because she has gymnastics skills to show her off in routines. But the way acro is taught is very different to gymnastics.

At a young age it is hard to flit from one style of tumbling back to another. As she is already doing gymnastics it won't add anything to what she is doing. She would be better to add another type of dance class like ballet or tap.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back