WAG Aerials?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey, I would really like to know how to do an aerial! I've practiced them a couple times at the gym, and was never really close. Any tips on how to push off your leg, etc?

My DD wanted to learn them too- she googled tutorials on YouTube and watched a ton. She found some very helpful in telling her what to do with her legs, arms, how to approach, push off, how to hold her body, etc. She then, at open gym, worked them on the tumbl trak- with her coach's approval. She had it in a day on the tramp/tumbl trak. Then she moved it to the rod floor, then spring floor. I'd google some tutorials and then ask a coach for help and guidance.

IMO aerials are like kips - all in the timing. Good leg flexibility helps compensate when the timing is off, but I think it just takes lots of practice and repitition to get it consistent (unless you're really lucky and just "get it" right away). My DD can do them from just standing there like Brooke on dance moms now, but when she first learned them she had to run and hurdle and everything. Just took lots of practice. They are such a beatiful skill when done well. DD is in the run and hurdle stage w/ her front aeriel now, so hopefully soon she gets the effortless version (we joke that she'll need it for beam someday ;)).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back