Parents after high school??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hey! so i am currently a junior in high school, and i’m looking into what i can do when i get into college to continue my love for the sport. i am currently going to compete xcel platinum—whether i’m going diamond senior year is dependent on how i feel after the season. but anyways, i was talking to my coach and she said that acro and tumbling could be a great fit for me, but i’m having trouble finding the requirements needed to even be recruited and possibly earn a scholarship. and of course, i have never even heard of half of these colleges. on the other hand, she also talked to me about the NAIGC which seems amazing, but from my understanding there will be no scholarships? could somebody give me the benefits of the NAIGC, and more info? like do we have our own coaches or do the athletes coach each other? i also coach rec classes at my current gym and love doing it, so it might also be a possibility that when i’m in college i only want to coach and not compete. but i’m not even sure if this is going to possible? anyways, i just would like to know acro & tumbling requirements and if i decide to go through with NAIGC i also would like more info if somebody could give it to me

I know there are parents of girls involved in both NAIGC and A&T on here, and they will be of more help, but in the meantime, I wanted to let you know that the NCATA (A&T organization) has a great website, and there is a video right on the front page that lets you know about translating your gymnastics experience into A&T. (https://thencata.org/)

NAIGC also has a great website, and although there are no scholarships involved, I know these are structured clubs that even have regional and national level competitions. I'm sure the clubs vary in nature from school to school, but you can start at the NAIGC website, find schools of interest and then learn more from there. (https://naigc.org/)

Hopefully those other parents chime in. I know some ex-gymnasts have had (and are having) great experiences with both of these routes.

I know there are parents of girls involved in both NAIGC and A&T on here, and they will be of more help, but in the meantime, I wanted to let you know that the NCATA (A&T organization) has a great website, and there is a video right on the front page that lets you know about translating your gymnastics experience into A&T. (https://thencata.org/)

NAIGC also has a great website, and although there are no scholarships involved, I know these are structured clubs that even have regional and national level competitions. I'm sure the clubs vary in nature from school to school, but you can start at the NAIGC website, find schools of interest and then learn more from there. (https://naigc.org/)

Hopefully those other parents chime in. I know some ex-gymnasts have had (and are having) great experiences with both of these routes.
thanks—academically however, are any of the acro & tumbling colleges good? i’ve never heard of over half of these colleges so i’m assuming well known colleges like baylor would be way harder to get recruited for. and my tumbling isn’t really the best so i don’t really think i would get recruited but i like to know the options out there

Well, "good" depends on what is the best fit for you academically, what your plans are for a major, and the strength of the individual departments within your targeted career field. How you balance your athletic goals with your academic goals will be up to you (and your parents), but it wouldn't hurt to see which schools might fit the bill for you both in scholarship and in sport. :)

My neighbor's dd is on an college club team. She finished her senior year of hs as an xcel diamond. She said that the girls have skills in the range of levels 6-9. They are scored as level 8 or 9. They go to a local gym 2x a week for practice in an open gym type setting but they have someone that helps to spot and give feedback. They also do conditioning workouts.

Years ago when my dd had just finished level 3, we went to a college club meet. A family member was competing so we wanted to watch. There were girls doing a huge range of skills. Some were just doing a front handspring vault and others were doing flipping vaults. Some were doing a level 3/4 bar routine and others were doing giants. I wasn't paying attention to scoring so I have no idea how it worked.

It does seem that there are differences in how a particular college runs their club team so you'd have to look into specific ones that you might be interested in to find out. Since it is a club sport, there are no scholarships.

My dd did not find any colleges with a gymnastics club or acro team that worked for her.
She decided to try out for the cheer team and is absolutely loving it. She's been getting new skills and having fun in a real team environment. Some colleges also have a dance/spirit team which could also be a possibility if that interests you.

I know nothing about acro/tumbling teams. Maybe you could start a new post specifically asking for info about that and will get more responses.

Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they aren't good. Remember there are way more smaller schools than there are big ones that everyone has heard of.

My neighbor's dd is on an college club team. She finished her senior year of hs as an xcel diamond. She said that the girls have skills in the range of levels 6-9. They are scored as level 8 or 9. They go to a local gym 2x a week for practice in an open gym type setting but they have someone that helps to spot and give feedback. They also do conditioning workouts.

Years ago when my dd had just finished level 3, we went to a college club meet. A family member was competing so we wanted to watch. There were girls doing a huge range of skills. Some were just doing a front handspring vault and others were doing flipping vaults. Some were doing a level 3/4 bar routine and others were doing giants. I wasn't paying attention to scoring so I have no idea how it worked.

It does seem that there are differences in how a particular college runs their club team so you'd have to look into specific ones that you might be interested in to find out. Since it is a club sport, there are no scholarships.

My dd did not find any colleges with a gymnastics club or acro team that worked for her.
She decided to try out for the cheer team and is absolutely loving it. She's been getting new skills and having fun in a real team environment. Some colleges also have a dance/spirit team which could also be a possibility if that interests you.

I know nothing about acro/tumbling teams. Maybe you could start a new post specifically asking for info about that and will get more responses.
thanks! so do they usually they just coach themselves? i’m a type of gymnast that needs a coach to force them to do things…lol

thanks! so do they usually they just coach themselves? i’m a type of gymnast that needs a coach to force them to do things…lol
It's like open gym so there is no coach that is going to force them to do things. There is a coach there for spotting and skills help but it's not a college team coach. But other schools may be different.

hey! so i am currently a junior in high school, and i’m looking into what i can do when i get into college to continue my love for the sport. i am currently going to compete xcel platinum—whether i’m going diamond senior year is dependent on how i feel after the season. but anyways, i was talking to my coach and she said that acro and tumbling could be a great fit for me, but i’m having trouble finding the requirements needed to even be recruited and possibly earn a scholarship. and of course, i have never even heard of half of these colleges. on the other hand, she also talked to me about the NAIGC which seems amazing, but from my understanding there will be no scholarships? could somebody give me the benefits of the NAIGC, and more info? like do we have our own coaches or do the athletes coach each other? i also coach rec classes at my current gym and love doing it, so it might also be a possibility that when i’m in college i only want to coach and not compete. but i’m not even sure if this is going to possible? anyways, i just would like to know acro & tumbling requirements and if i decide to go through with NAIGC i also would like more info if somebody could give it to me
You can still do gymnastics as an adult too. I compete AAU but you could also compete USAG. It's not over when you turn 18. Best of luck!

Agreed. In Australia many gymnasts continue to train and compete in the same teams and gyms they have been going to all their lives.

I know a lot of people go away to College in the US but I don’t understand why so many gyms only have school
Aged kids in their teams and why they all leave when they graduate.

Perhaps it’s time to fight that trend, look
around and find a gym willing to keep
you on. If some gyms are prepared to offer this and enough gymnasts are prepared to do it, it could change the way these gyms operate.

And then perhaps in the future continuing on in their gymnastics beyond 12th grade can become normal and accepted like it is here.

thanks—academically however, are any of the acro & tumbling colleges good? i’ve never heard of over half of these colleges so i’m assuming well known colleges like baylor would be way harder to get recruited for. and my tumbling isn’t really the best so i don’t really think i would get recruited but i like to know the options out there
Well I'd say Baylor, Duquesne, Iona , Quinnipiac, Univ of Oregon to start are "good" ...we've known some kids who have gone to some of the smaller schools on the list such as East Stroudsburg and Gannon and done well. There's also tons of club teams at colleges that you can participate on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back