Parents High school gymnastics teams

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kzpage

Proud Parent
Gymnast
I'm curious how many of y'all have high school gymnastics teams? We do, which I love, but someone mentioned it's not the norm? If you don't have that as an option, is your athlete aiming for a college team or just riding the gymnastics wave as far as they want to?

I'm curious how many of y'all have high school gymnastics teams? We do, which I love, but someone mentioned it's not the norm? If you don't have that as an option, is your athlete aiming for a college team or just riding the gymnastics wave as far as they want to?
We have it where we live and my daughter is trying it out for the first time this year as a sophomore. She's enjoying it so far. She's a level 10, but high school gym here is around a platinum level, which isn't as easy as it seems to go back to. Vault is a struggle. lol.

In WA, large high schools usually have girls HS gymnastics. From what I have seen (they use the floor at our gym 1x per week when my son trains), the level of most participants is around xcel gold to xcel platinum. I believe I read that the xcel program was designed to prepare athletes for high school competition.

In WA, large high schools usually have girls HS gymnastics. From what I have seen (they use the floor at our gym 1x per week when my son trains), the level of most participants is around xcel gold to xcel platinum. I believe I read that the xcel program was designed to prepare athletes for high school competition.
But the ones winning are diamond! Our gym has quite a few girls on the team that won state this year and they are all diamonds.

We have it where we live and my daughter is trying it out for the first time this year as a sophomore. She's enjoying it so far. She's a level 10, but high school gym here is around a platinum level, which isn't as easy as it seems to go back to. Vault is a struggle. lol.
I should have mentioned that I am in central North Carolina.

In Ohio and Indiana, high school gymnastics uses modified Level 8 (with high school bonus), but the girls range from Xcel Gold to Level 10. One of the modifications is that special requirements are only worth 0.2 instead of 0.5.
The funniest thing about high school gymnastics and club gym is that you can have a gymnast specialize in beam for high school and be top 3 in the state (with a standing back tuck on beam among her skills), but she competes Xcel Gold in club because they require girls to compete All Around for club, and she doesn't have a kip.

We have quite a few in Wisconsin... you can see the results at the following link as far as what schools have high school teams...

Many of the schools co-op too.

There are always a few L9/10 ability kids out there... but for the most part it is pretty low level. Any school that can put together a bunch of solid L8's will have a shot at winning State.

We have it where we live and my daughter is trying it out for the first time this year as a sophomore. She's enjoying it so far. She's a level 10, but high school gym here is around a platinum level, which isn't as easy as it seems to go back to. Va

In Ohio and Indiana, high school gymnastics uses modified Level 8 (with high school bonus), but the girls range from Xcel Gold to Level 10. One of the modifications is that special requirements are only worth 0.2 instead of 0.5.
The funniest thing about high school gymnastics and club gym is that you can have a gymnast specialize in beam for high school and be top 3 in the state (with a standing back tuck on beam among her skills), but she competes Xcel Gold in club because they require girls to compete All Around for club, and she doesn't have a ki

The funniest thing about high school gymnastics and club gym is that you can have a gymnast specialize in beam for high school and be top 3 in the state (with a standing back tuck on beam among her skills), but she competes Xcel Gold in club because they require girls to compete All Around for club, and she doesn't have a kip.
Oh wow! I'd never even thought about that factor of the difference in competition.

My daughter did high school her senior year. Yes range is from level 4- level 10. it was a fun way for her to say goodbye to gymnastics. Would say average highest level would be around level 8. Many girls do both club and high school in our state

Interesting, in Texas the high school teams compete a couple compulsory meets (level 5), then switch to optional meets (level 8) and I believe state meets have both! I think there is a wide variety of skill level on the actual teams and they pick the best per event to make lineups, similar to college.

If there are high school programs in Northern California, I'm not aware of them.
There are some. The norcalgym page has a high school section. There's at least 11 teams. But given how big NorCal is, that isn't many. Club is primarily the thing here - most public schools won't even teach gymnastics in PE because of the equipment and the risk.

There are some. The norcalgym page has a high school section. There's at least 11 teams. But given how big NorCal is, that isn't many. Club is primarily the thing here - most public schools won't even teach gymnastics in PE because of the equipment and the risk.
FWIW, I'm in a state that does have high school gymnastics, and we definitely don't teach gymnastics in PE at public schools. The vast majority of high school gymnasts in our area are either current or recently retired club gymnasts. Practices and meets are at local gyms. And coaches represent multiple area schools.. my daughter's coach has 5 or 6 schools I believe. Also practices are only like 2 hours a week so they really are assuming the gymnasts are practicing at a club. High school gymnastics here seems to be just a fun chance to compete for your school and be involved. Which is why my daughter is really enjoying it.. because with her 22+ hours of club practice, she really doesn't have much other opportunity to be involved at her school.

My daughter did high school her senior year. Yes range is from level 4- level 10. it was a fun way for her to say goodbye to gymnastics. Would say average highest level would be around level 8. Many girls do both club and high school in our state
In Ohio, you can't compete for your club while competing for your high school ... no exceptions. After your first high school meet (mid December or early January), you don't compete for your club until after your last high school meet (early to mid-March). Because of this, some of the bigger Ohio clubs don't really want their higher level gymnasts to compete for their high schools. [This is actually a bonus for YMCA teams because the Y teams are more accepting of competing for the home schools - some teams are even coached by YMCA team coaches ... and the girls compete for their YMCA in November and until their first HS meet. Then they are back in time for YMCA Districts and Regionals ... PLUS they can compete at Y Nationals no matter what level they are.]
In Indiana, high school gymnasts can "apply" for permission to compete for their club during the high school season. They can't compete for the club if there is a conflict with the HS schedule and there is a limit on the number of club meets they will be approved for (I think it was 2 last I knew, but it could be more).

Ohio, you can't compete for your club while competing for your high school ... no exceptions. After your first high school meet (mid December or early January), you don't compete for your club until after your last high school meet (early to mid-March). Because of this, some of the bigger Ohio clubs don't really want their higher level gymnasts to compete for their high schools.
Yes technically this is the same rule in our state. But doubt anyone even checks. Supposedly when you compete both your score can not count to club team at meets. Again it’s a rule but can’t see how anyone could check and we saw quite a few competing both. My daughter had decided not to compete full season of club meets when she decided to do high school As a level 10 senior.

I wish they had high school gymnastics where we live! I feel like the xcel girls have no goal to shoot for and end up all dropping out in middle school because they have no future in the sport. My daughter is a platinum this year but is talking about quitting after this year to do cheer and track in middle school. She wants to be a part of the school programs and gymnastics doesn’t allow for that.

If there are high school programs in Northern California, I'm not aware of them.
When I was in high school (Hayward High) they had a team my wife was on it. They didn’t compete though, because other school in the area didn’t have a team, and that was back in 2000

I wish they had high school gymnastics where we live! I feel like the xcel girls have no goal to shoot for and end up all dropping out in middle school because they have no future in the sport. My daughter is a platinum this year but is talking about quitting after this year to do cheer and track in middle school. She wants to be a part of the school programs and gymnastics doesn’t allow for that.
Its somewhat the opposite here. We don't have high school gymnastics in my state and the XCEL program is thriving, especially at the middle school ages.

Yes technically this is the same rule in our state. But doubt anyone even checks. Supposedly when you compete both your score can not count to club team at meets. Again it’s a rule but can’t see how anyone could check and we saw quite a few competing both. My daughter had decided not to compete full season of club meets when she decided to do high school As a level 10 senior.
Here a lot of the judges that judge the high school meets also judge club meets. There is at least 1 judge that has turned in girls that tried to get away with doing both. There was a high school team had to forfeit at least 2 meets and the girl wasn't allowed to compete the rest of the high school season. She was a senior and had been dominating bars and vault in HS but she was only a level 8 due to beam and floor not being ready for level 9. The judge had just seen her at a high school meet one day, and a couple days later, saw her in a club meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back