Age Question!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CaitsMoM

Proud Parent
My daughter is currently a 5 year old pre-team LvL 4. I was talking with her coach about competing Level 4 next season but she wasnt sure if she would be old enough. I am confused as to how this works. She will be 6 June 15 2011...can she compete in the 2011-2012 season? Do you determine it by the last meet of the previous year or the current year you are competing in? HELP!!

She cannot compete until on or after her birthday. The age-at-state-meet thing is ONLY for determining age groups for awards. Gymnast must be the minimum age for their level to compete in any meet. Assuming your meet season is next fall (2011), then she would be able to compete. If you're talking about spring 2011 meets (which I think are actually considered the 2010-2011 season), then she would not be eligible.

She can compete in any meet on or after her 6th birthday, as I understand it.

We have a 5 yr old on our L4 team who turns 6 the week after our state meet. Such a bummer because she is so ready to compete NOW!:rolleyes: So, she won't get to do any meets this season but will be able to start with the first meet of the fall 2011 season.

age to compete

Actually, I think it's by the state meet. We had a 5-yr-old on my daughter's USA level 4 team, but she turned 6 in Nov.-- 3 weeks before the state meet. The rules stated that the gymnast had to be 6 by the state meet, so it was fine for her to compete USA level 4.

I think for AAU level 4, the child has to be 5, and can compete level 3 at age 4. I'd have to read up on AAU, but I think that's what our owner explained to me.

It would be easy to find the answer, just go to the USAG website and read the rules for age requirements.

more info

I tried to edit my post, but I don't think it worked, so I'll just add it here. The following is from the 2010-2011 USAG rule book:

"b) For Levels 4, 5, 6 & 7 - age is determined by the date of the last day of the State Meet (or Sectional, if no State meet is held)."

So a child can be 5 on USA 4 as long as she turns 6 by the State Meet. You'll find this info starting on page 19 of the rule book, which is then explained on pages 20, 21. The chart says the child has reached their 6th birthday, but the explanation clarifies it as turning 6 by the state meet.

We have hashed this out many times here and we have checked out the USAG documents. A child has to be 6 to compete in a USAG sanctioned meet.

AAU is a whole different thing and may have other rules.

I tried to edit my post, but I don't think it worked, so I'll just add it here. The following is from the 2010-2011 USAG rule book:

"b) For Levels 4, 5, 6 & 7 - age is determined by the date of the last day of the State Meet (or Sectional, if no State meet is held)."

So a child can be 5 on USA 4 as long as she turns 6 by the State Meet. You'll find this info starting on page 19 of the rule book, which is then explained on pages 20, 21. The chart says the child has reached their 6th birthday, but the explanation clarifies it as turning 6 by the state meet.

We have talked about this many times and the above info relates to the age banding at state. No child can compete before the day they turn 6 (level 4) 7 (level 5) etc. The age banding is relevant as long as they have reached the miminum age to compete which is stated on a different chart. It is actually quite clear on the USAG site but I think some gyms like to ignore it and hope they will get away with it.

A friend told me that meet organisers are now supposed to collect and check birth dates with the entry information.

Although she could probably do a rec type meet before age 6 ...level 4 isn't even a sanctioned level so it's interesting that there is an age minimum from them..

We have always been told what ever age they are on the day of states is the age they are considered for that season of competition. My DD's bday is right around the state meet dates and there have been some years she has been older and some years she has been younger by that rule.

with that said however several of the gyms have "Unsanctioned" meets where those that don't meet the USAG age guidelines go and compete. Usually there is one or two in a season (its a just for fun meet doesn't count for qualifying)

Level 4 is sanctioned by usag. My dd is competing usag as a level 3 and it is sanctioned also.

By sanctioned , I mean required...Levels 1-4 are not required to progress to Level 5 (i.e. there is no mobility score required by USAG to go Level 5 from 4) and levels 1-4 are considered developmental.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back