DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Watch in the background of Maroney's Amanar vault in slo-mo...there is a judge who's jaw dropped...couldn't believe the vault...that's cool.

What else is cool...vaulting so high that there are pictures of you above the vault table without the vault table in the pic!

EDIT:

maroney-vault-london.jpg

EDIT #2:

Here is what I was talking about above!

jaw-judge.jpg

Last edited:
Missed the judge reaction, but it's recorded, I may have to look back. But yes, she scraped the celing with her toes on that

Missed the judge reaction, but it's recorded, I may have to look back. But yes, she scraped the celing with her toes on that

You'll want to look back...it's classic!

Everyone I know that has seen her live says something about how they expected her to be awesome, and that she surpassed their expectations!

You can probably find it on YouTube or check NBC Olympics. I swear to look at her, you would not think that she could get that kind of power. It's really impressive.

OK...I got it...here is the judges face...

jaw-judge.jpg

I saw it on youtube yesterday, but the IOC has been pretty quick about having them taken down. The version I saw was literally someone video taping their TV.

I don't care how good she is, her impact on our family (and at least one other I've talked to) has nothing to do with skills.

If my daughter reacts in any competition like Maroney did during vault finals, her gymnastics career is over on the spot.

I was pretty surprised at how she acted also. I tried to chalk it up to the incredible buildup she had and that maybe she was just shocked. And she is a 16 year old girl. But, hopefully someone talks to her, because it was not very gracious. I mean Jordan Weiber was visibly upset when she didn't qualify for AA. She did seem to pull it together though, I didn't think she came off as bratty. And Gabby at the bar finals, how incredibly gracious she sounded!

But I feel like perhaps I shouldn't post this. She is a teenager and I have a few of my own, so I know that no matter how great they may be at something (in her case gymnastics) they are still a work in progress.
I don't care how good she is, her impact on our family (and at least one other I've talked to) has nothing to do with skills.

If my daughter reacts in any competition like Maroney did during vault finals, her gymnastics career is over on the spot.

After reading this, found this article online: McKayla Maroney isn’t a “mean girl” - Salon.com
I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt here. I thought she was more disgusted with her own performance than anything and I can't imagine how difficult having that play out on camera must be. I have a feeling that McKayla's parents probably had their own talk with her and she sounded pretty contrite afterwards.

McKayla posted this on her Facebook page yesterday:

"For anyone who thought I didn't want to hug Maria and Sandra that's not the case:) They are my friends, and I'm proud of them both! I wasn't thinking straight and I totally forgot what to do, but don't worry.. I gave them both hugs after!! ♥ Sportsmanship is so important to me and I hope you know i would never do that intentionally!! Please forgive me!!."- McKayla

McKayla is a great vaulter--no question. What these girls(and they are girls) have to remember is that the image shown on TV is the one most people will remember. Unless you're a hard core gymnastics fan, most people won't read what was written on FB or said later on. I have to say just based on TV images I'm quite disappointed with the lack of sportsmanship being shown by the female gymnasts at this Olympics.
I know this is OT so I'll leave it go at that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back