Air Maroney

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Seriously? People are ragging on how she reacted in the vault finals? Can ANYONE catch a break or are we going to nit pick EVERY tiny thing? The girl was SHOCKED. That is how she reacted, that is how she looked. Shocked. She didn't look like she was being ungracious. She literally looked like she wasn't even THERE. I can't blame her. Have none of you had those moments? Would we prefer she bust out crying and act snotty to everyone like the Russians do when they mess up? She wasn't trying o snub anyone, and it didn't look like she was to me. It looked like she wasn't even realizing people were trying to hug her.

~Katy

McKayla is a great vaulter--no question. What these girls(and they are girls) have to remember is that the image shown on TV is the one most people will remember. Unless you're a hard core gymnastics fan, most people won't read what was written on FB or said later on. I have to say just based on TV images I'm quite disappointed with the lack of sportsmanship being shown by the female gymnasts at this Olympics.
I know this is OT so I'll leave it go at that.

I love that you didn't specify nationality there. Many countries' gymnasts behaved poorly this time around. I understand that these are young girls, but their example has a profound impact on the upcoming generations of gymnasts. I've spent as much time talking to my daughter about showing better sportsmanship than many of this year's Olympians as I have marvelling over their incredible skill.

To me, McKayla looked completely shocked, period. I read her interview where she said she was upset with her own performance and didn't deserve the gold, I thought that was honest and not at all unsportsmanlike. The other thing that we have to remember, is that we only see what the TV chooses to show us. On the flip side, I saw glimpses of McKayla during the team finals doing everything she could to support and take care of her teammates (keeping track of their water bottles, helping them get grips off and put away, supporting them 100%.) I was very impressed with how she was 100% there for her teammates after she was done with her part.
We have to remember with all these girls throughout the Olympics, there is still the whole aspect of NBC seeking to get ratings and the media trying to make whatever stories they can. It is reality TV....so we all need to be careful about making broad assumptions based on the little glimpses we get.

I honestly think she was just in a daze. After all the hype about how she was definitely going to win a gold, it must be absolutely earth shattering to fall. I do not think at all that she had a "bad attitude". Football players who are grown men get visibly upset when they don't win, of course a teenage girl is going to be upset! Maroney is still my all time favorite gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back