Parents Alexis got her pins out! Yea!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She is in a removable cast so that she can start exercising her fingers a bit each day. Hoping for lots of good wishes for her to get the use of her fingers again...doc told her mom after surgery to get her to learn to write left handed because he was not sure what the outcome would be (he said if she was an adult, she would have lost the use of her ring finger but because she is 14.....)....she is scheduled for pt and hopefully that will go well...her foot, which was also broken, is still in the boot for 3 more weeks.

Believe it or not, she is planning to get back into the swing of things as fast as possible...I hope that her wishes come true (and that she stops doing whatever it is wrong on her bhs on beam)...so that this does not happen again. Last January (2010) she displaced two of her fingers on her left hand-this time it was her right but worse than the displacement. Obviously she does not have the "form" the gym would like her to have on her bhs on beam...so back to basics.

ohh my! I hope her recovery goes smoothly and will be able to get up to speed in no time. and that she will be able to fix what ever it is in her bhs so that she will never have to go through this again!

Sending good wishes for a successful rehab!! Once she gets back to the gym, someone needs to look at her technique on that bhs--sounds like her hand placement is not correct and that needs to be fixed.
Hope she's out of the boot soon too!

Good for her wanting to get back in the swing of things. This sport is not easy there are so many obstacles in their way like injuries and fears. I really admire these girls who go through rough times and are still determined to stick with it. The backhandspring on the beam seems like one of those skills that a lot of them have stumbling blocks with or injuries occur. I hope my daughter if she decides to continue with the sport is able get the skill. I know quit a few girls at the gym have gotten injured with this skill, it is very scary.

Panda-girl's Mom...for her, it is not fear (I've been told this by the coaches)...it's that since she started gymnastics at a later age (she was formerly a power tumbler and all star cheerleader prior to finding the sport she loves)...she does not have the flexibility in her shoulders that is usually found at an earlier age so she has a struggle to get her arms and hands back where then need to be to grasp the 4" beam (her bhs on floor is beautiful), also that she "throws her head back" and that she is not getting the height she needs...but she struggles to work on these things because she is a "fighter" and fighters don't quit...hoping this obstacle isn't the one that takes her out unless she decides she is done on her own. I guess we'll find out in about 5 more months or so. That's what we've been told will be the recoup period unless they were giving us bad information. Thanks for all the support.

My gymmie has never had great shoulder flexibility either and she was doing pre-team at age 7. There are some exercises she could be shown to do at home while going through this long recovery to help a little with the shoulder flexibility. Throwing her head back is just a bad habit and one they need to break. She is probably doing it to some extent on floor, but there she can"get away with it" since she doesn't have to land on 4."
Tell her to hang in there and work hard on her therapy. Hope to read some good progress notes from you:)

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. Be vigilant in doing all the therapy exercises (as well as not doing too much, too fast), it makes the biggest difference in recovering full use. My mom once had a similar injury in her late 30's. She regained full use against the dr.'s prognosis because she followed her therapy instructions religiously. Its been 30+ years and she still does not have problems with those fingers, except for unrelated diabetic pain.

Now is an excellent time for working on flexibility, including her shoulders. Ask her PT for some suggestions, I'll bet they have some good stretches for that!

Wonderful idea gymjoy...I'll let my daughter know to ask the PT for those shoulder flexibility suggestions...Thanks. I'd post the pics of her hand but I don't know how.

Just a little update...my DGD saw her ortho last Tuesday and got some pretty good news....he said he is pleased with how well her fingers are healing and the fact that one of the two fingers if moving as it should. He is a bit concerned about the other one but feels that with the exercises he has prescribed for the next two weeks, he expects to see good progress. The one does not bend as it should (well, actually doesn't bend and is bent funny)...but again, he seems to be pretty happy at this point so so are we. DGD can hardly wait to get back to working out more than just the conditioning she has been able to do since her injuries. I believe that the boot is only on her foot for another week or so and that will also be easier for her to start training again. Seems January will be here before ya know it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back