An Opportunity to build character

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

"Mack".....You made so many good points. I especially agree with your notion that a gymnast holds their future in their own hands. It goes much deeper than "accountability" when you put it into that perspective. I've long felt that a gymnast creates their own future, and that we adults should get behind them to help them get as close to their dreams as possible.

If "catching" cheaters helps parents into a discussion with their child about goal setting, discipline, and working for a personal reward, all the better. Some kids, no matter how gifted, who love gymnastics, just aren't into the rigors of training to be a competitive gymnast. They will cheat to the extent that it makes sense to them.

Our task as coaches and parents is to decipher this behavior to better channel these children into programs or activities that cater to the "passions" as stated by SheFlies. If we don't we are "cheating" all of the kids in the gym by implicitly approving the culture of "cheat" at the highest levels, which eventually erodes the gym club's mission to allow children to succeed.

never have believed in team punishment. kids that cheat for too long get moved to the 'electric bill' group.:)

I have never liked group punishment for an individual's action: don't like withholding recess from a classroom and I don't like extra conditioning for all for an infraction by one. Just recently, my daughter mentioned that a certain workup day was particularly grueling because they warmed up in a large group with a tough coach who demands a lot. DD does all of her reps and will not cheat, however whenever a girl talks (and usually a certain one does) the whole group will have additional reps. Sometimes, it does get to the point where DD feels like she is about to vomit and physically cannot complete some of the conditioning (probably because she is one of the few who actually have done all of the reps plus the add-ons) and she finds it necessary to try and sneak a break when the coach isn't looking. I hate this because it totally conflicts with her personality, but yet she is simply unable to get her body to perform any more.

Chocoholic- that's a tough spot to be in, especially when the gymnasts are being worked to the point of exhaustion. I know in "macho" team sports that coaches punish and then want teams to police themselves. Is that what your coach is going for? Has your daughter talked to the offending party? Is that even in her nature?

Done right, it's extra motivation because you don't want to disappoint your teammates (they'll encourage and inspire one another). Done wrong, it's a bit twisted (they'll turn on the weaker ones or the ones who cheat). Hopefully, your coach can manage it the right way.

Chocoholic- that's a tough spot to be in, especially when the gymnasts are being worked to the point of exhaustion. I know in "macho" team sports that coaches punish and then want teams to police themselves. Is that what your coach is going for? Has your daughter talked to the offending party? Is that even in her nature?

My daughter believes that other teammates at the offending girl's level have told her to stop. My guess is that this girl is ADHD and I know that she is going through a difficult time with her family. I'm not sure that she has the ability to keep quiet during conditioning.

It seems like the coach needs to better express their expectations either to the offending gymnast of the team. If this is being done because they really want quiet, the talker should be talked to. If it's about the team coming together and policing themselves, the coach should tell the girls what they are expected to do. Regardless, the gymnast's personal circumstances should be considered, too. If she is unable to hold her tongue, it's really unfair to punish her, let alone the rest of the team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News