Ankle injury?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At the end of December, I got a grade 3 ankle sprain on both sides of my left ankle. I had a boot for a month and then didn't do anything pounding for about a month. I got discharged from PT and everything was going fine. I got my ankle taped at every practice and I occasionally had a little pain while tumbling, but nothing major. Then, last Saturday, I didn't have my ankle taped and I was doing releve walking and jumps on beam when I got a sharp pain on the inside of my outer ankle bone (like, if your left ankle is a clock face with 12:00 the part of the bone closest to your little toe, it hurt at around 3:00). I took it easy the rest of practice. On Monday, I got it taped again and it felt fine. I had Tuesday off and then yesterday during warm-up (my ankle wasn't taped yet) I had a little pain in the same area. I got it taped (but from a different coach than usual who didn't tape it quite the same way) and the pain got a little worse throughout practice. Now I have moderate pain whenever I go on releve and a little pain when I jump. It hurts differently than when I sprained my ankle and it's never hurt in that exact area before. A girl on my team who has broken her ankles 6 times said that I could have pulled a muscle because my ankle isn't strong enough yet. I took today off to let it rest, but I have a meet on Sunday so I am planning on going to practice tomorrow and taking it easy, and then doing a few routines on Saturday but only bare minimum. My parents agree with this plan. Sorry this is so long, but I guess my real question is whether this could be just a pulled muscle or a more serious injury related to the sprain, and if my "plan of attack" for practice the rest of this week sounds ok? If my ankle still hurts here in a couple weeks, I'll definately see a dr.

Gymnasts often have high pain tolerances, but I'd say if you're experiencing pain, you should see a doctor. Is it swollen, tender or hot to the touch? Those are often signs of muscle injuries. But if it's a sharp pain, or you feel nauseous at all, that can be a sign of a fracture, including stress fracture. Does your gym have an athletic trainer? You should go to them if possible, or go to your family doctor.

Thanks! It's a little swollen and hot (but my ankle is always a little swollen from the sprain, so I'm not sure if it's just from that), and it feels a muscle, although the pain is sharp. I'll ask one of my coaches (he has a sports medicine backround) what he thinks tonight.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back