Parents Another Beginner Question - Backbends

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NY Dad

Proud Parent
I’ve been dispensing advice on CB based on my very limited experiences but I have another beginner question. At some point hopefully I’ll really understand the basics.

I've learned so much from CB but the main piece of advice at this point (if there were just one) would be to listen to her coach. During the one conversation I had with her coach I was told that at home my 7 year old DD (level 2) should only do strength training (pull-ups, push-ups, plank holds,..), handstands, splits and back-bends. Since I had that conversation she doesn’t do any other gymnastics related activities at home.

I know that back walkovers can cause major back problems but since I had been told by her coach to work on back-bends, I had assumed that was okay. Was this bad advice? I recently saw a comment somewhere on CB not to do back walkovers or back-bends at home.

Ahh, found it…

Their backs are very delicate and doing these things can at best lead to bad habits that put their gym back, at worst life altering injuries. No back walkovers or backbends either.

Don't let her do any back-bends at home. Unless there is some specific exercise\drill the coach wants her to do at home. But even then it's better if she does it at the gym under close supervision. You don't want her to put an extra pressure on her lower back by doing the skill incorrectly.
Talking as a parent of a child who had to quit gymnastics because of the back injury.

Thanks for the info and advice. I'm suddenly feeling very guilty for encouraging her to do back-bends about every other day for the last month. It was based on the conversation I had with her coach (and she likes stretching). I don't think I'll say anything to her coach, she just won't do them at home anymore. I hope her coach aware of the issue (in the gym too) and I just misunderstood him. I hope she didn't do any damage already. She hasn't complained about back pain so hopefully it's not too late. I'm going to have to change my avatar ASAP, looking at it is making me queasy now.

if you look at the article I quoted above and your avatar you can see where the stresses are on the back. Unfortunately there are coaches out there that are less well informed and use techniques that don't take account of modern research.

I did my gym back in the 70's and as a family we are hypermobile so I spent all my time doing backbends and backwalkovers. They thought it was great I could lie on my tummy, bring my legs up over my head and tuck them under my chin.

I was lucky, I was in a very low hours programme and my back survived.

I commend you on making enquiries and adjusting accordingly - you are doing your daughter a great service. We all make mistakes when we don't know any better, the smart ones learn, adjust and move on

I agree, no need to feel guilty. It's good that you are figuring this out now, before any real damage has been done (if it has, you would most likely know by now).
But yes, there are many things that could be wrong with the bridges\backbends, a lot of research has been done in the recent years, and not all coaches out there are aware of all the issues.
Check out this article, it's a good one:
http://www.shiftmovementscience.com...y-5-most-common-issues-and-how-to-address-it/

I really appreciate the info. I feel a little better because she's never complained of any back pain but she's the type of kid that I could find a bruise on her and she would have no idea where it came from. (She's either good at ignoring her pain or she's not very self-aware).

For the sake of the thread this was the avatar I had been using... backbend.jpg
(Hopefully my avatar wasn't shouting "Look at my DD, she's not going to last long in gymnastics and I have no idea what I'm doing") :oops:
(I'm temporarily using my cat while I rethink the avatar );):)

I'll spend some more time more carefully reading the articles but the takeaway (for me) is that there's really no reason for my DD to work on back bends at home. I'm wondering if I need to educate her coach. Not sure if there's a tactful way for me to address this with him. I can't do drop-off or pick-up and only had one conversation with him on the phone.

already by not doing them at home you are limiting her repetitions and hence chances of developing problems.

A lot of gymnasts will use their backs to perform skills when they lack shoulder flexibility, so shoulder flexibility is important.

Also some coaches, (not our lovely CB coaches) can have a bit of a god complex and don't take kindly to being told they are wrong, especially by a parent, be wary.

I'm so grateful that I get to learn from everyone else's experiences (and DD hopefully benefits). I feel better now that I 'm not personally responsible for any of the stretches that are bad for her back.

One more follow-up question. My DD was telling me about the different stretches they do every practice called a seal stretch. Here's a picture I found on the internet. Based on my limited new knowledge it looks like this could also be bad for her back too. Is that correct?
seal stretch.JPG

Also,
Also some coaches, (not our lovely CB coaches) can have a bit of a god complex and don't take kindly to being told they are wrong, especially by a parent, be wary.
If this is also a harmful stretch I think I should say something to the coach. Is this a bad idea? Since she joined pre-team in Sep. I've only spoken to the coach once (he seems like a very nice guy). Have any parents or coaches dealt with a situation like this? I'm guessing the coaches on CB are much more knowledgeable about these types of issues.

Are certified coaches required to take ongoing classes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back