another improvement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well she is on her way up. Third year level 8 but she really just wants to move to 9 regardless of scores, she is happy with just above average :)

1st event bars- still didn't do handstand on low bar, she can but doesn't like going into clear hip
8.55 good for third place
beam- ugh, she is down to two falls, stuck her series fell on jumps due to a wobbly beam, lol. We have all seen those! 8.225
floor- she looks but better on most things but still scoring the same, would love some advice on how she can improve this score 8.65
vault- decent tuck tsuk, she has done better 8.85 6th place
AA-34.275 6th place highest AA this year but lowest placing
http://youtu.be/21FVkRNUJ5E

Some obscure comments I have on floor....when I hear her music, I feel its more upbeat and she looks entirely bored and unenergetic....judges can take up to .3 on artistry and that would be something to work on. I also noticed during her dance, she has sickle feet (they are turned in) quite a bit in some places. Some judges who are more dance based would notice this. Finally, she does some extra skills that are not required, but taking deductions. For example, the round off-straddle jump-back handspring flop down....not used to fill any requirements, but probably taking .2 or .3 in execution on that section of skills. Little things like that add up when its a .1 here or a .1 there and things that a lot of coaches overlook as they just focus on the tumbling passes or leaps or turns. Just some suggestions. I think she looks good and has a nice base of skills to build on for level 9
:)

Every little improvement helps! Her series and dismount on beam were really nice, especially considering the shaky beam. That score will be huge when she can nail her jumps/leaps.
Her floor looks good, no huge errors, it's really just all those little tenths here and there. I was just watching a USAG made YouTube video on judging talking about things like precision, sureness, exactness in movements, extension, and dynamics. They're all just little deductions but can really add up if a judge is really looking for all of those nit-picky things. It also mentioned that relaxed and/or sickled feet throughout a routine can result in up to a .2 deduction, all things which will really depend on the judges. Here is the video if you're interested: Little Things Mean a Lot - Judy Dobranski - YouTube!
The good news is, many of these things can be fixed with just a little attention and more confidence with the routine and movements. She's got the skills and they look pretty great and the jump in scores shows how much progress she has made so far. Hopefully she'll be able to finish out this season with a bang and head on to level 9 with lots of confidence!

Some obscure comments I have on floor....when I hear her music, I feel its more upbeat and she looks entirely bored and unenergetic....judges can take up to .3 on artistry and that would be something to work on. I also noticed during her dance, she has sickle feet (they are turned in) quite a bit in some places. Some judges who are more dance based would notice this. Finally, she does some extra skills that are not required, but taking deductions. For example, the round off-straddle jump-back handspring flop down....not used to fill any requirements, but probably taking .2 or .3 in execution on that section of skills. Little things like that add up when its a .1 here or a .1 there and things that a lot of coaches overlook as they just focus on the tumbling passes or leaps or turns. Just some suggestions. I think she looks good and has a nice base of skills to build on for level 9
:)

Thank you so much. She actually doesn't even like the back handspring to her stomach. She had it in her last routine and judges did suggest to take it out. For some reason, when coach did this routine she kept it in. I agree she needs more "life" but didn't realize she could be getting slight deductions. I really don't expect expect much over a 9 but think she is capable of hitting a 9 even with her not so perfect form.

Is the round off straddle something that would fulfill a requirement at L9? She plans to do the last meet this year as a L9 so might be worth keeping.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back