WAG Another pair of grips again :S

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so the time has come for new grips, and leaving the old pair has been an emotional decision(more necessary because tape is holding the whole thing together). I have a pair of reisport velcros that i have been trying to work in for a few days(usually do a few giant sets after i finish my work on my old ones), but i really need to switch to be able to do everything in them, not just basics, and they still dont feel right. I went in yesterday and did 5 sets of 20 giants, but they still feel weird. I've read through most of the threads i could find about working in grips, and know the standard soften and then work in procedure, but if anyone has any special tricks or tips that would help a lot :)

Also the leather feels too grippy and to thick, and they dont feel long enough(although they are, i'm just used to my old pair), like when I kip cast handstand they dont properly place on the bar, and when I try to go into reverse grip they dont hook around the bar like they should.

Thanks for the help in advance :)

They will just take time to break in, and mold more to the shape of your hand. It takes me about a month to be completely comfortable with a new pair of grips, for some people it only takes a few days. I always store my grips folded into themselves, it seems to make them start bending in the right direction faster. Other than that, just lots and lots of tap swings, slowly working in the higher level skills. Also:
I went in yesterday and did 5 sets of 20 giants, but they still feel weird.
5 sets of 20 giants?! In the new grips? That might be a little excessive. Just give it time, they will eventually be broken in!

Ok thanks :)
Someone told me a while ago that only after 1000 giants(or equivalent skills) will the grips feel like your old ones. At that time I was only learning giants, so this was completely unrealistic, but now maybe it's something to aim to do and see if it is true ;) also I'm doing so many because I want to get back to uptrainning, and it's kinda annoying when everyone else gets to practice fun moves but I am alone working my grips in :(

I never had a problem breaking in Reisport grips, I thought they were pretty easy to get used to. It could be that they are made from a thicker and/or stiffer leather than the grips you were used to- especially if the old pair was well worn. Keep working on it, they'll get there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back