Another Texas bound gymmie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's not set in stone but it looks like we may be moving to the south Fort Worth/Arlington area. I read the other two Texas threads I found and plan to check out Empire but I would love any information on some of the other gyms too. Texas Dreams may be a bit too much for DD but I'm not totally ruling it out yet.

DD is 11 years old and a second year level 5 (which is old by Texas standards it seems). She has some back tumbling fear issues she is working on so she needs patient coaches who are willing to help her work though the fears. She wants to stay in the USAG program for now beacause her goal is to make level 6 but that may change with time.

Are you moving to Texas because you want to find a new gym or for some other reason? just curious because I know Texas has a lot of great/high level gyms. LOL I wish I went to Texas Dreams :D

We moved to Texas about a year and a half ago. My gymmie at the time (who is now a AS cheerleader) went to Texas Dreams for maybe 3 days lol. Their rec classes are fun but their teams are VERY high pressure. My dd had been on a preteam and didn't make the cut for theirs. They wanted her to go back to rec classes. Top Flight in Southlake is a great gym. It wasn't a good fit for us but the owners were really nice and actually told us about Empire because she knew it was closer to our home.
WOGA is very hard to get into, they are extremely selective and wouldn't even see my gymmie. They wanted her to do rec classses for a year and then they would consider her.
From what I've read and seen the first couple of practices will be harder then usual, it's almost as if they want to see how mentally tough your gymmie is before they place her. Don't let her get discouraged if they have her practice with the level 4 team one day and then level 5 the next. That is where mine fell apart, she wanted to be right where she was before but because she was uptraining her skills were all over the place. Luckily she found cheer and loves it.
Right now we have done a trial class at Empire and little gym monkey (6) is starting there at the end of the month after her tumbling classes are done. We are going to Midsummers comp at their gym on Saturday so she can see what it's like to compete.

Daughter has a new coach who came from a very high profile gym in Texas but she taught the lower level 4. I thought it was funny when daughter said you know mom level 4 in texas are like level 10 inPa. I am sure there are a ton of gyms out there and you can find a good fit! Good luck!

Are you moving to Texas because you want to find a new gym or for some other reason? just curious because I know Texas has a lot of great/high level gyms. LOL I wish I went to Texas Dreams :D

Sadly it's not my choice to move to Texas. I'll just be following hubby who might get a job there. I've already spent most of my life in the Lone Star State and really don't like the heat. At least the Fort Worth area isn't as humid as the Houston area where I grew up. I'm really going to miss my Pennsylvania winters and mountains but I will adapt.

The one thing that really bums me about this possible move is the timing. DD really wanted to repeat level 5 so she would have a more successful season but Pennsylvania has their meet season January - April and Texas looks to have a fall season. If we move around Christmas, it looks like she will miss both seasons.

I'm really proud of her because she said it would be okay if she didn't make it to States like she wanted but I know she is disappointed.

Well i just competed a meet at empire as a level 6 and they didn't have very many i remeber Sunbelt gymnastics was always on the podium an had scores of about 9.2-9.7 on every event. Whether their coaching styles may fit your daughter i'm not sure. Texas dreams is a good gym and i wouldn't rule them out just yet, if she is a hard worker i'm sure any gym will ask her to be on team but you might have to try a few out (when i say a few i mean a lot, because sometimes the best gym for you is the one you think is least likely).
P.s. I'm from corinth gymnastics so thats probably out of the question plus the coaches are always a little distracted while coaching :mad:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back