WAG Any good reading on injuries and puberty???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
I am curious. Is there any good gymnastics related reading about the increase of injuries and the 12-14 year old??? It is no coincidence that injuries are more prominent with this bunch and it seems it doesn't matter what level. We have an 11 yo level 10 with no real 'problems' and we have 13 yo L4s with tendinitis, and ankle/foot issues.
I want to talk about this with our parents and see if there are any nutritional or other ways to keep this stuff at bay.....summer is around the corner, and hours are increasing!!!!!

As the parent of an almost 14 year old who has been suffering through a series of growth related injuries, I've gotten to talk with a number of pediatric sports doctors. I've asked the same question. Unfortunately, the body is stressed while growing as different parts grow at different rates. Bones are generally weaker before kids complete puberty so they fracture more easily. After puberty you tend to get more muscle damage. When the muscles/ligaments don't grow at the same rate as the bones, you can get things like Sever's. There's no way to prevent it other than doing less gymnastics and more lower impact sports. I'd love to find a solution but all the doctors agree that when she finally stops growing, the growth related injuries should subside. That doesn't mean she won't still have injuries.

As a pediatrician and mom of 3 gymnasts, 2 in puberty, I agree that much of the increase is growth related, and somewhat unavoidable if training high hours. Some times patience is the best medicine! I would also add that as the body dimensions change rapidly, the kids may get injured more easily just because of having to 'relearn" skills, etc...

However, I do feel that REST, and nutrition are really crucial especially in times of rapid growth. I don't mean just rest of the injured area, I mean SLEEP and down time in life. This isn't just in gym - the kids I see in the office struggling to get better from injuries or minor illnesses at this age generally are burning the candle at both ends plus some. I say this even though it drives me crazy when my just turned 14 year old boy needs to sleep 12 hours a day for a few days after weeks when he has lots of late night orchestra, etc...on top of gym...but I know its normal and if he doesn't get it he'll drag longer and be more likely to get injured...

Our pediatrician (who also has a sports medicine specialty) has always stressed the importance of sleep and nutrition, with extra emphasis on sleep. Growing teenagers need more than 8 hours of sleep every night. She pushes mine to get 9-10 hours. That's a pretty tall order for active kids during the school year, but we do our best.

Thanks!! I really appreciate the feedback.
If anyone has any literature on this or knows where I can get something, please let me know.
I would like to give it to all the parents.
Thanks

I know in the past some coaches/gymnasts have been criticized for not adding new skills at a particular time. Generally the coach was being smart, they knew the gymnast was growing and simply worked on maintaining the gymnasts current skills, strength and flexibility. I think Kyla Ross gets the most flack for this currently, but people don't actually look at how much she grew between her junior and senior year and then again after the Olympics.

I know in the past some coaches/gymnasts have been criticized for not adding new skills at a particular time. Generally the coach was being smart, they knew the gymnast was growing and simply worked on maintaining the gymnasts current skills, strength and flexibility. I think Kyla Ross gets the most flack for this currently, but people don't actually look at how much she grew between her junior and senior year and then again after the Olympics.

I have seen where people keep wanting Kyla to upgrade. Not very many seem to consider that her coach might be trying to keep her healthy.

Little Girls in Pretty Boxes might contain something. Its a decent read on how harsh elite gymnastics and world class figure skating are on young girls.

This is a great thread, I need all the info I can get. My dd is 13.5 and I can see another spurt about to start. Thank goodness it will be summer and she can get extra sleep and rest. Although they up the hours at the gym as well. But I have watched it over the years and had already decided that during puberty the ability to just maintain what you already had is a huge accomplishment, so mentally I am ready for that. Now to convince my dd as she goes through this that it will all be ok in the end...

Larry Nassar had a good presentation that touched on this at congress a few years ago. As kids are going through, or about to start puberty, measure their height regularly. A large increase in height often precedes other changes in puberty. As kids grow, they often need to increase their strength to maintain the same strength:weight ratio they had before. If they do not maintain or increase strength, they will be more prone to injuries.

Wonder how I can get that presentation.....
I'll try and find my notes so I can give you the exact title. May not be today though - I have to get ready to go coach soon!

I think it was Bill Sands not Nassar. Can someone edit my previous post?

^^^^^^ The above reminded me of an article that explained how to pinpoint when an athlete would go through puberty by measuring their growth rate.

I thought it was part of this series, but can't find it - many other articles though.
http://gymbc.org/science-of-gymnastics-journal

2010 Volume 2 issue 3 has an article 'Training load in pre-pubertal female artistic gymnastics' I am sure the references list for this article will also provide more for those who wish to dig around for information.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back