Parents Anyone know anything about osteochondral defects?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtoo

Proud Parent
Apparently my daughter now has one in her left elbow (she's moving on from foot and ankle injuries anyway!). If I thought quitting club and moving to high school gymnastics would help lessen her chances of injury, apparently I was wrong. She thought she hyper extended her elbow on vault at the meet last Thursday--lots of pain, hurts when extending it out fully. Still hurt yesterday, so trainer at the HS said she had to get a doctor's note to come back gymnastics. We thought it would be a simple sprain or something--maybe need a brace, but the x-rays showed the osteochondral defect. I could clearly see on the x-ray where a small chip of bone was separated from the rest of the bone. It's causing her pain, so they called it "unstable" and they need to do something about it. We go today to the ortho expert on hands, arms, etc. for a plan. The general ortho yesterday said surgery was likely to tack it down.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and has any anecdotal stories about recovery (or not). (on the negative side--the doctor said DD's growth plates are closing which makes a full recovery less likely--apparently kids with open growth plates heal this type of injury better).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back