WAG Anyone out there in Harvey's path?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wishing everyone safety and love right now. Our friends in the kingwood area were evacuated last night. They are safe with friends in Dallas but their house is under water. Feeling so much for everyone effected by this.

It's awful. Houston has been through so many floods, but they don't impact many homes at a time, compared to our general population. So I kind of sit here waiting for the sun to come out and the roads to dry out and to go back to business as usual, like we do every time. But the sheer numbers impacted...it won't be back to business as usual for a long time. I can't imagine what the near future is going to look like. I try to wrap my brain around it and can't.

My heart goes out to all those in Texas right now. Hope everyone is keeping safe. I just saw on Twitter that FloGymnastics shared a gofundme page for one Gym, called Thornton's Gymnastics Center, that was unfortunately in Harvey's path.

Flips in Spring was hosting free 1hour open gym sessions yesterday. It was a welcome energy release after almost a week of being cooped up.

Does anyone know how one could donate to the recovery of the Houston area? I have clothes and other things I would like to send.

Thanks

Does anyone know how one could donate to the recovery of the Houston area? I have clothes and other things I would like to send.

Thanks
American Red Cross is always best. Check out lists of "donation items needed" online. Many donation centers are overflowing with clothes and toys, and don't have the need (or room) for any more. So make sure you check that out first :)

American Red Cross is always best. Check out lists of "donation items needed" online. Many donation centers are overflowing with clothes and toys, and don't have the need (or room) for any more. So make sure you check that out first :)

I will not give to the American Red Cross, they do marketing great, but not so great at helping people and spending donations wisely. Research for yourself, but there are many organizations that use 100% of donations for benefits. The American Red cross was investigated by congress for their response to Superstorm Sandy and the Haiti earthquake. They were found to have misled congress in relation to "diverted funds". Obviously its your money to spend how you see fit. I'm simply offering that the Red Cross is not a wise choice.

The Red Cross is like Susan G Komen - money doesn't go where it should go. My friend who worked search and rescue in Katrina warns everyone off them, and then Haiti, whew! Her personal favorite is Disaster Aid USA. Or JJ Watt's Youcaring campaign will probably get where it's supposed to.

No clothes please! Unless brand new. Within minutes of shelters opening, they were not accepting clothes anymore - there wasn't even enough demand for our own city's extra clothes. And even the things they DID need - like diapers and formula and toiletries and bedding - they got so much so fast that we loaded huge trucks and sent them east to other cities being hit. Most locations are not even accepting shelter donations right now, or only one or two things at a time as needs arise. Right now what is in demand is clean up items - gloves and bleach and crowbars and spray bottles and shop vacs and soap and band aids, etc. There are some school supply drives starting too. Some animal organizations have lists up.

Really I think what the national news didn't convey was that 70ish percent of the population is high and dry and desperate to help. Our stores are open and getting deliveries. When a shelter posts a need, they're immediately inundated with response....all that to say, as much as it warms our hearts that people really want to help, goods and volunteers are so thick on the ground that they're being turned away in droves. The only thing that's in short supply is money. :/

I will not give to the American Red Cross, they do marketing great, but not so great at helping people and spending donations wisely. Research for yourself, but there are many organizations that use 100% of donations for benefits. The American Red cross was investigated by congress for their response to Superstorm Sandy and the Haiti earthquake. They were found to have misled congress in relation to "diverted funds". Obviously its your money to spend how you see fit. I'm simply offering that the Red Cross is not a wise choice.
Pod Save America (a great podcast if you're interested) had Alyssa Mastromonaco on yesterday. She worked in the White House and in the Senate for President Obama. She acknowledged that the Red Cross may have issues, HOWEVER, there is no other organization trained to mobilize and help as quickly and immediately as the Red Cross. She also indicated donations to local Texas charities will be extremely helpful. It was a good balanced statement that yes, the Red Cross may not be the best, but there is no other organization jumping in immediately and no other organization equipped to do what they do.

Pod Save America (a great podcast if you're interested) had Alyssa Mastromonaco on yesterday. She worked in the White House and in the Senate for President Obama. She acknowledged that the Red Cross may have issues, HOWEVER, there is no other organization trained to mobilize and help as quickly and immediately as the Red Cross. She also indicated donations to local Texas charities will be extremely helpful. It was a good balanced statement that yes, the Red Cross may not be the best, but there is no other organization jumping in immediately and no other organization equipped to do what they do.
While another organization might be better to give your dollars if you want the money to go directly to the people of the Houston area, the Red Cross will be the first ones on the ground helping the people of the NEXT natural disaster. We don't know where that will be, and that is their strength, having to resources and expertise to show up to help immediately whenever or wherever a disaster occurs, before the donations have started rolling in.

While another organization might be better to give your dollars if you want the money to go directly to the people of the Houston area, the Red Cross will be the first ones on the ground helping the people of the NEXT natural disaster. We don't know where that will be, and that is their strength, having to resources and expertise to show up to help immediately whenever or wherever a disaster occurs, before the donations have started rolling in.

I'd research this statement. They are the best at marketing what they do so they continue to receive donations that will be misappropriated. There are too many good charities who need funds to give money to Red Cross just because they are the most marketed. They are only the 21st largest US Charity by size. 20 charities who are bigger and most are much better at helping people in need, with Goodwill being on an equally low level with Red Cross

I have heard the same thing so I checked with a charity rating service and the Red Cross was rated very high with them giving 90.1% of intake to the program and services they provide. They spend 3.8% on administrative costs and the rest on advertising.

Yeah...no one I know who has worked alongside the red cross has ever said that they rolled in first and helped immediately. They only have bad things to say. There are a LOT of other charities to choose from.

I'd research this statement. They are the best at marketing what they do so they continue to receive donations that will be misappropriated. There are too many good charities who need funds to give money to Red Cross just because they are the most marketed. They are only the 21st largest US Charity by size. 20 charities who are bigger and most are much better at helping people in need, with Goodwill being on an equally low level with Red Cross

And United Way and Susan J Koman.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back