Parents Are any of your gymnasts on the dive team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Peanut

Proud Parent
My 8 yo DD is planning on passing her community pool swim test tomorrow :). She claims it's only so she can go off the diving board. Our swim team doesn't have a dive team (another close pool does) but I'm wondering if this is a sport she'd try and maybe enjoy. I ran across a few YouTube videos and found a kid at her gym that dives and I thought, hey my kid can do that :) Thanks for your comments!

No. But my DD does have some interest. She's considering a "homeschool" dive team at a local YMCA - just for fun and it's very low hours... but she is still undecided.

My 8 yo DD is planning on passing her community pool swim test tomorrow :). She claims it's only so she can go off the diving board. Our swim team doesn't have a dive team (another close pool does) but I'm wondering if this is a sport she'd try and maybe enjoy. I ran across a few YouTube videos and found a kid at her gym that dives and I thought, hey my kid can do that :) Thanks for your comments!
I know of a professional colleague whose daughter went from gymnastics to diving and got a full ride to the University of Southern California for diving. Seems like a natural transition. Good luck to your daughter.

My 10 yo DD and a couple of teammates are giving rec diving a try next week. Gymnasts make good divers. Air awareness, strength and flexibility are all great skills for divers. A friend of mine coached a girl who moved from gym to diving and went on to represent her country in the Olympics.

4 of our girls have chosen to move on from gym to diving. All I believe became immediate members of their schools teams.

Many of my divers are on the gymnastics team ;).

while there are some transferable skills, gymnasts often don't adjust to diving as well as you might think. Many are conditioned to land feet first, and never easily get that extra half somersault. Twist and hurdle techniques are different, and take a lot of relearning.

I would say it's ok to do both up until multiple somersaults. So if they're learning 1.5's in diving, or double somersaults, or flipping vaults in gymnastics. Once you get to that point it's a risk that they may end up the wrong way up. After that they need to choose which is the main focus, and the other sport needs to adjust it's training to accommodate, if it is to be carried on.

My DD dives for her high school team. Did pretty well her first year and doesn't find the two sports difficult to do at the same time... Other than the many hours of practicing both. We also had a level 9 they switched to diving and doing quite well qualifying to nationals.

Many of my divers are on the gymnastics team ;).

while there are some transferable skills, gymnasts often don't adjust to diving as well as you might think. Many are conditioned to land feet first, and never easily get that extra half somersault. Twist and hurdle techniques are different, and take a lot of relearning.

I would say it's ok to do both up until multiple somersaults. So if they're learning 1.5's in diving, or double somersaults, or flipping vaults in gymnastics. Once you get to that point it's a risk that they may end up the wrong way up. After that they need to choose which is the main focus, and the other sport needs to adjust it's training to accommodate, if it is to be carried on.
Good stuff. Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back