Arm action on hurdle onto beat board

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

Wally

I have been having some issues with the arm action of some of my girls as they hurdle onto beatboard when vaulting. Some are quite stiff and not fluent but mostly they lacking enough upward punch/lift. Could others please describe what they think is an efficient powerful arm action and drills they use to achieve it?

Cheers
Wal

2009 January 31 Mas Watanabe

3. Use of the under arm swing forward

Along with a high hurdle step, using the under arm swing from the back to forward is very effective in increasing the punching power. During the hurdle step, both arms should be pulled directly backward (rather than circled back) and swung forward as she punches the board.

Note: The arms circle backward and swing forward does have the same effect as the arms swinging back and forward but I found that the arms swinging directly back and then forward is simpler and a much more consistent way to do it every time.

As well, a straight arm circle is typically too slow to rotate fully in combination with the hurdle. Therefore, teaching them to circle with bent arms is optimal as they can be swung around faster.

Blairbob
Thanks for your response. I have two issues really. The little ladies I have started do the bent arm underarm punch (i am so no good at words to describe as I usually use stick drawings) but they seem so stiff and ugly with it. I had never come across this. I may have overcoached it from the beginning. I want them to relax in it and simplify the lift. The older girls of another coach whoI work with occasionally have got into some poor habits and were hurdling on with arms already raised. I have corrected & prompted and taken them back to simple jumping skills which they are not rapt in. I was watching some video clips of a USA gym vaulting and the girls all hurdle onto the beatboard with arms foreward and slightly lateral to the body as the feet were about to contact there was a quick short radius circle back and up with bent arms. It looked pretty powerful however I had never used this before. The reason I considered it was that the older girls with the bad arm action feel "out of balance" hurdle pulling arms back so I thought this foreward arm entry might help them to a better lift off the board.

What are your thoughts? I hope you can cipher my jottings!

Wal

Maybe you could have them trying jump-roping backwards? Since your arms are already bent when you jump-rope, and they are sort of relaxed, it may help them sort of get the idea.

Maybe you could have them trying jump-roping backwards? Since your arms are already bent when you jump-rope, and they are sort of relaxed, it may help them sort of get the idea.
Thanks GA. Sounds like it is worth a try. Cheers
Wal

Basic bounce on trampoline includes a backward arm circle. Or we work it on tumbl-trak or across the floor or doing single leg hops ( though eventually they use more of a sprinters arm pump ).

With some the arm circle becomes very small. Train big at first and refine to small.

I'm sure you do plenty of drills with them. On every drill they do make them to the arm circle. Board drills, block drills, everything. They will eventually get it down - especially on block drills, because if they don't have a strong circle/upward lift or it's too stiff or too loose they will fall very awkwardly, sometimes on their heads, and they will fix it right quick!

Thanks Tuesday. What block drills do you do? I am picking up after a long absence from coaching. Some things are easily recalled but some basics forgotten after the long break. Loving the challege coming back though!
Wal

Wally, swinging the arms forward while hurdling the feet forward and then quickly pulling the arms back then forward with or without a small circle is what Mas was talking about. Very common technique.

However, if they end up just doing the hands up while hitting the board, they won't get much out of their preflight typically.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back