WAG Arm muscles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everyone! Okay so I really want to work at building more muscles because I know it is like the most important thing in gymnastics along with technique. I have been doing okay with legs and abs but I just am struggling a lot with my arms. I have really weak arms so I know I need to work on them. I don't find push ups help because I am not able to do enough of them (I do like 10 in a row and can't take it anymore). I can't even do one chin up. It's really frustrating! Would lifting weights help me? Are there any exercises that I can do to work mostly my biceps? Thank ou for reading!

Hi! I have 3 suggestions for you.
1)( entire arm +shoulder) find a wall and do a handstand with your stomach against the wall. Hold as long as you can take it, start with 30 seconds, then 45, 60 etc.
2) planche hold. ( bicep, and also abs) go into a pushup position except on your elbows and clasp your fingers together. Hold for 30 sec, the increase the time
3)push up shoulder touches( I don't know what they're called) ( whole arm) go into a push up position, regular. Then lift up one hand and touch your opposite shoulder. then put it down and switch. Do sets of 30, 50 , etc.
Gook luck, and I hope I helped!

Get some dumbells and move through the same motions you use for skills. Here's an example of an exercise that can help prepare you for cast handstands, clear hips, and giants.....With a 4 kilo dumbell in each hand.....standing in a correct hollow position with the dumbells held at your hips, move your arms up in front of you until they are straight up over your head.

Use an amount of weight that allows you to do at least 3 sets with a minumum of 5 repititions in a smooth rythym with completely straight arms and a constant hollow (dish...plank) position. Add a set, or increase your weight once you get strong enough to make 8 repititions in the third set.

Your strength will increase over time, not over night. Be patient and don't over do it, or you'll be worse off than you ar now.

The push-ups should be helping if you are doing ten in a row then your muscles are exhausted. This is what helps muscles to build strength. Try resting for a while and then do another set. You can also do knee push-ups as well - as you get stronger you should be able to do more full push-ups before having to resort to knees. Try putting your hands in different positions for push-ups - e.g. three with hands close together, three far apart, three in front of you, three as far back as you can manage.
For chin-ups, try doing them on a low bar with your feet dangling on a mat - the feet can help you up a little bit but your arms will still be working hard. You also need to rest your muscles to give them time to build strength, so don't do the same exercises every day, give them a day off as that is when they do their repair work and get stronger.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back