WAG Astro Turf flooring at competition venue

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MBJ974

Coach
Proud Parent
There is a new dome facility that just opened in our area and our team was thinking about hosting a meet there. I've tried looking on the USAG website to find out if there are any rules/regulations when it comes to solid surface flooring at a meet venue and I can't find the information I'm looking for. Off hand, would anyone know if the matting/equipment can be put on top of Astro Turf for a sanctioned USAG meet?

That was our boys' state meet two years ago. :) Everyone from my state will remember it vividly, if not fondly. Hope no one is still recovering from frostbite!

Oh no, profmom! It's good to know that you've been to a meet of this sort, but I will definitely have to check on the heating capabilities of the facility. It seems like the Astro Turf should be the least of our worries. Thanks for your reply :)

We have done meets in venues with astroturf. That stuff was everywhere. Green warm ups, green leos, green floor. UGH

We've had a meet that was over the ice of a hockey rink. There was plywood and then the mats but you could see the ice beneath it. The girls were fascinated with the ice! I would imagine astro turf would be fine.

There is a new dome facility that just opened in our area and our team was thinking about hosting a meet there. I've tried looking on the USAG website to find out if there are any rules/regulations when it comes to solid surface flooring at a meet venue and I can't find the information I'm looking for. Off hand, would anyone know if the matting/equipment can be put on top of Astro Turf for a sanctioned USAG meet?

yes, it can. the only surface that can't be used is "artificial grass" like you find in a soccer arena. and they have those little bits of rubber (from tires) in the grass.

yes, it can. the only surface that can't be used is "artificial grass" like you find in a soccer arena. and they have those little bits of rubber (from tires) in the grass.
why can't they use that surface?

USA Gymnastics says so. a few years ago Nationals was held in Ohio. Patrick Jordan hosted this meet along with USAG. i think it took 3 months for everyone to get rid of those black rubber bits from everything in their meet belongings and hair and underwear, etc;. and the equipment was unstable even though they put down plywood. National said not again.

Interesting. I wonder if that was before or after we had our state meet. OMG, those black rubber bits! And our boys were still in their white socks and pommel pants at that point . . . we all had to throw the socks away after the meet. After the first session, the spectators got the word out that people needed to bring blankets.

It's a no brainer, putting a balance beam on a soft surface equals instability.....

i've never been, but i'm trying to figure out how it's cold down there in Florida.

Some domes are really nasty, believe me. No insulation at all and they trap moisture. If you don't want to lose your lunch, do NOT look up and think consciously about what those dark splotches on the ceiling are. If it's 50 degrees out, it may be 55 in the dome if it's not heated. Or if it's, say, "unseasonably cold" and the dome isn't insulated, no matter what they do with the heat, it's just not going to work. Not too terrible if you're playing soccer for 90 minutes or if you are a soccer parent equipped with the parka and gloves that can also be worn outside for those late fall and early spring games . . . .

YEah...cold ;0 State one year was held in a warehouse gym. It was overly chalky so they opened the doors. Our boys actually warmed up in full sweats, hats, and gloves! Eventually they decided to just let it be chalky so the gymnasts cold take off a couple of layers!

YEah...cold ;0 State one year was held in a warehouse gym. It was overly chalky so they opened the doors. Our boys actually warmed up in full sweats, hats, and gloves! Eventually they decided to just let it be chalky so the gymnasts cold take off a couple of layers!

Out by you? In March??? Now THAT'S cold!

USA Gymnastics says so. a few years ago Nationals was held in Ohio. Patrick Jordan hosted this meet along with USAG. i think it took 3 months for everyone to get rid of those black rubber bits from everything in their meet belongings and hair and underwear, etc;. and the equipment was unstable even though they put down plywood. National said not again.

That's interesting as here there are many competitions (provincial qualifier and provincial, as well as the equivalents for lower categories) are held each year in soccer stadium on artificial grass. And as we use Gymnova, the floor isn't as beige at the end of the competition. The girls finish the competition with black feet. We mustn't have many places big enough to hold these large meets.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back