at home gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everyone! I am brand new here, I just posted a little bit in the introductions forum. I have a 3 (4 next month) year old little girl who takes gymnastics once a week but does "gymnastics" 24/7. Most of the things she does don't bother be bc she has always been a rowdy, energetic little girl and I am used to the constant motion but she just started doing headstands on the couch and I'm not sure if I should discourage her. I am scared of her straining her neck, I don't know if I am being a little overprotective or if it just isn't a good idea. They don't do headstands at class, just handstands walking up the wall which she has mastered and is bored with! Thanks! (feel free to yell at me if this is in the wrong spot)

Is she physically on the couch? or just in front of it? Does she tuck her chin properly when she does a forward roll or does she stand on her head and try to roll? All of these are factors into weather you should discourage them or not. Talk to coach too. He/she will have some insight. Maybe she has some talent that they will want to tap in a year or too.

From a safety standpoint, it's probably a good idea to discourage her from doing headstands on the couch, especially at that age. You don't want anything to happen to her neck.

From a gymnast's view, I did the same exact thing when I was a 4 year old, and I turned out fine. But that still doesn't mean it was a good idea. I was probably lucky that I never got hurt...

I'm not a fan of headstands full stop, and definitely not for such a young one, I would discourage it strongly.

Could you ask her coach for some ideas for home practice? Maybe sign her up for another session?

@Serenity'smomma: She is physically on the couch. She puts her head on the crack between the cushions and the back and goes from there. She does tuck her chin down to a forward roll and the same for a backward roll. I will talk to the coach too. Honestly, most of things she don't worry me at all (like her last big truck was bending over the arm of the chair, putting her arms down, putting her legs in a straddle and flipping over.) I wasn't worried about that bc she wasn't using her head.

@gymnastbeth...I remember doing the same thing when I was little and my parents telling me I was going to break my foolish neck! I didn't but at least now I know how they felt!

@rd...I will try to discourage it. Lately, when she has been getting rowdy I have been working on dance moves/stretches/balance skills with her. I was a dancer (ballet, pointe) so that is more my territory. It still helps get her rowdiness out, she calls it gymnastics, and I don't have to be afraid! And now that is summer she will go to her regular gym class but I think we are also going to do the kid's camp (half days) a couple weeks. They do gymnastics but they also do other things like crafts and games so I think it will be fun! She is also going to take a ballet class in the fall. I wouldn't go so far as to call her hyper bc she is well behaved and will listen but she is a bright, energetic child and she needs a lot of activity and structure.

Thanks so much everyone! and since I already started a post anyway, are bridges bad too? I thought I heard they were. She was doing them in her room the other day. I acted proud but I asked her to show me a table top instead and I made a huge deal over it so she was distracted. Thanks again!

Bridges and headstands are no-nos at her age due to the chance of injuring her neck/back. I like you showing her some stretching etc----call it whatever you need to. Most of us have had similar type kids---that's why they ended up in gymnastics.
With the summer coming, look for lots of outside activities to do to burn off some of that energy. Also try other activities such as swimming.

Thanks for responding! We do spend a lot of time outside which helps but so far this year it has terribly rainy and we have been stuck inside a lot. Hoping for a dry spell sometime soon! In the meantime, I will definitely discourage the headstands and bridges. I also might ask my husband how he would feel about doing double sessions during the summer. It wouldn't be anymore money than what we are used to bc we are all done paying preschool tuition for a couple months...it would actually be cheaper. Our gym also does a pay for the whole summer deal and it ends up being quite a bit cheaper

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back