WAG Attire deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MG Elite warmed up with solid black tank tops over their Leos when I saw them. At the time, I wondered why they did that. Now reading this I wonder if it was to keep questionable leos from being noticed?

Wow, if that's the reason that seems...sneaky. I did notice after our discussion about them competing in spaghetti strap leos that later they posted pics from another meet and the girls were wearing the long sleeve versions (the pink one). So I'm guessing they had a late delivery of the long sleeve and chose to wear the "practice" version for that first meet (which I think someone suggested as a possible explanation on that thread). Still though, there are plenty of options that don't break the policies so I don't get why they would blatantly do that.

Wow, if that's the reason that seems...sneaky. I did notice after our discussion about them competing in spaghetti strap leos that later they posted pics from another meet and the girls were wearing the long sleeve versions (the pink one). So I'm guessing they had a late delivery of the long sleeve and chose to wear the "practice" version for that first meet (which I think someone suggested as a possible explanation on that thread). Still though, there are plenty of options that don't break the policies so I don't get why they would blatantly do that.

their long sleeve one isn't any better.

Had a look at the leos on instagram. Really don't like the pink ones. Also, some of their pictures and the taglines make me very uncomfortable. You know the pretty girls in pretty leotards thing.

I’m curious if any judges are taking the deduction. I’m thinking not. I saw one team last weekend with a totally backless leotard, not a single strap. It had a clip at the neck, sleeves, fabric over the butt, and absolutely no fabric on the back. There was no way a bra could be worn with it, and the back opening was so low it looked like the top of a high waisted pair of briefs could show. If that leotard didn’t get a deduction, I can’t imagine what would.

I’m curious if any judges are taking the deduction. I’m thinking not. I saw one team last weekend with a totally backless leotard, not a single strap. It had a clip at the neck, sleeves, fabric over the butt, and absolutely no fabric on the back. There was no way a bra could be worn with it, and the back opening was so low it looked like the top of a high waisted pair of briefs could show. If that leotard didn’t get a deduction, I can’t imagine what would.
Well that’s just ridiculous. Seriously. There is no legitimate justification for leos like that.

Meanwhile, my DD has an upcoming meet where everyone wears the same leo, which we haven’t seen yet. She’s worried it will he light colored because she’ll be on her period. She’s already discussed taking the deduction and wearing bar shorts. It’s so backwards that gyms can get away with putting girls out there in less and less with no ramifications at all, but if a girl wants to cover up for her own comfort it is sure to be deducted. Not the message I am comfortable with, personally.

Meanwhile, my DD has an upcoming meet where everyone wears the same leo, which we haven’t seen yet. She’s worried it will he light colored because she’ll be on her period. She’s already discussed taking the deduction and wearing bar shorts. It’s so backwards that gyms can get away with putting girls out there in less and less with no ramifications at all, but if a girl wants to cover up for her own comfort it is sure to be deducted. Not the message I am comfortable with, personally.
My team went to one of these meets a few years ago and the leos were a metallic pink/orange that was very see through on older girls. I had a team of little ones who wore it with no problem, but when the older girls came in later and tried it on there was no way it would work (underwear lines, belly buttons, all visible). A few girls expressed their discomfort and HC just had them all wear their team leo. The next year the leos were much more flattering for all girls. At any meet like that I always have the kids bring their team leo just in case something comes up, but I guess at some of these meets wearing anything other than the leo given at the meet is frowned upon.

My team went to one of these meets a few years ago and the leos were a metallic pink/orange that was very see through on older girls. I had a team of little ones who wore it with no problem, but when the older girls came in later and tried it on there was no way it would work (underwear lines, belly buttons, all visible). A few girls expressed their discomfort and HC just had them all wear their team leo. The next year the leos were much more flattering for all girls. At any meet like that I always have the kids bring their team leo just in case something comes up, but I guess at some of these meets wearing anything other than the leo given at the meet is frowned upon.
I hadn’t realized that was even allowed! I’ll keep in the back of my mind.

I think I saw video of that leo and I was horrified. Looked beautiful for a photo shoot. But for female athletes no way. Not appropriate, not practical, not empowering. Whoever chooses these sorts of leotards for a sports team that self conscious teen girls have to wear is thinking only of themselves. They are not giving a jot to the girls.

The butt cheeks hanging out on some of the college girls is also just asking for weirdos to come and look.

I was at a comp last night and a large team was wearing backless leos. There would be no way to wear a bra with these - closure around the neck (which my DD would hate) and then a circle of open back with coverage starting at the lower back. I honestly would be furious if our gym picked a leo like that.

I was at a comp last night and a large team was wearing backless leos. There would be no way to wear a bra with these - closure around the neck (which my DD would hate) and then a circle of open back with coverage starting at the lower back. I honestly would be furious if our gym picked a leo like that.
Was this at Paws for a Cause? Initials LR?

Was this at Paws for a Cause? Initials LR?
No, this was a different meet, I honestly don't even remember which team it was (it wasn't one I knew, but I saw that they had a lot of girls, they weren't a gym I've ever seen at meets before). I've seen some of the Paws pictures too. I don't understand why gyms are doing this!!!!

My daughter’s team went to one of these meets, and the leos were white. The gym had no idea they would be white until they arrived a few days before the meet, and there was a mad last-minute scramble to find suitable undergarments for everyone. The leos were not even decent on the youngest girls. The year before, the leos were actually handed out at the meet, which was even worse. I am very glad we no longer attend this meet.

Fitting above the hip bone is ridiculous, especially for young girls. I think ultimately parents still are to blame somewhat for that. If enough parents banded together and refused to pay for an indecent leo, then the gym would most likely find more appropriate Leos.

I guess I should have thought out my response a little better. We do not see the leo before it is paid for and ordered as well, we are just fortunate that our HC picks appropriate leos that offer good coverage and usually have dark colors, at least in the area that it counts. But if an indecent or inappropriate leo were ordered, even after I paid for it, I would hope that other team parents would speak up with me (I would be speaking up) and demand a new, appropriate leo. I would rather pay for a new one than to have one that was indecent, not properly lined, or one that my DD felt self conscious in. Our children depend upon us to protect them and I think that this is one area where we should protect their dignity.

I understand the issues and headaches that would come with parental involvement in choosing team leos, but they could send an email with the chosen design before its ordered and address any legitimate concerns such as backless, lining, and/or coverage. I don’t want to pay for an expensive leo that won’t properly cover my DD. I’m not a fan of her current leo design and colors, but since it is an appropriate fit and offers good coverage, I have no complaints.

I understand the issues and headaches that would come with parental involvement in choosing team leos, but they could send an email with the chosen design before its ordered and address any legitimate concerns such as backless, lining, and/or coverage. I don’t want to pay for an expensive leo that won’t properly cover my DD. I’m not a fan of her current leo design and colors, but since it is an appropriate fit and offers good coverage, I have no complaints.

I was thankful our gym did exactly this the last time we got new leos. It was not presented to parents as a situation where we could veto, but we got pictures and mockups of the leos prior to order, and had an opportunity to voice any concerns and get any questions answered. It helped get buy-in from parents, who were on the hook for some pretty pricey leos, even on the Xcel side.

But if an indecent or inappropriate leo were ordered, even after I paid for it, I would hope that other team parents would speak up with me (I would be speaking up) and demand a new, appropriate leo.

I will say Yes I would speak up with or without the other parents if I thought that the leo were inappropriate--even if it means being unpopular or losing money etc. Honestly I have complained a lot this year about the quality of the leos. Its not the gyms fault but I didn't spend $$$ to have it start pilling after one meet (and honestly I expect better from GK but thats a topic for a whole other thread :mad: ) I am surprised that more gyms dont at least show a mock up of the cut of the leo even if they want the color/design to be a surprise especially if you are trying to do something unique that may require special undergarments etc. And I am with all parents that its cruel to have leos with white/light colored bottom halves--like why is that even an option? Its just crazy to me

My daughter’s team went to one of these meets, and the leos were white. The gym had no idea they would be white until they arrived a few days before the meet, and there was a mad last-minute scramble to find suitable undergarments for everyone. The leos were not even decent on the youngest girls. The year before, the leos were actually handed out at the meet, which was even worse. I am very glad we no longer attend this meet.
Ugh, that's awful! At the meet I mentioned the leos were given at the meet, so the girls just had the undergarments they brought. I don't get why meets with a giveaway leo to be worn at the meet do this, it's a leotard being worn by a huge range of ages/sizes/body types/etc. certainly they can work to find something that is comfortable and flattering on as many kids as possible? I know these meets usually have themes and causes they are supporting so certain colors need to be represented, but there are so many leo options out there these days- you can do a lot with a black base leotard (sparkles/sublimation/screen printing/trim colors) to get across the theme of the meet and still hand out a product that most athletes will feel comfortable and confident wearing. And if they really are against using a black base, at least use a darker color on the bottom.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back