Back Handsprings.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

R

rolliepollie

So I've been doing my back handspring for a couple of months and i injured my right shoulder. So when i do my back handspring i consciously turn towards the left side to avoid pressure on my right side. Basically my arms are turning to the side not directly behind like they should. I already strengthend my right shoulder, but it's just became a habit.:mad:
So any tips? Exercises I can do to fix it?

Please help me try outs are soooooonnnn.:eek:

Try and go back to the beginning, remember what you did you start doing back handsprings. stay on the one drill until it is consistently on both shoulders. You can try doing some back handsprings onto a pile of squishy mats so that you aren't worried about it hurting. Good Luck

We have all been there before with one skill or another. For me its back tucks off beam even now i go crooked cuz i am scared i am going to hit my head

do your hands turn out when you do back walkovers?? maybe you should just keep practicing and like the person above said, do it on a squishy mat. maybe try going from a trampoline (double mini) onto crash mats and get your coach to help you have your hands the right way!

When you do a back handspring try to put most of your pressure on your right side, instead of distributing it evenly, and chances are it'll come out even

You could try setting up a wedge in front of a crashy. You roundoff landing on the end of the wedge and backdive onto your back on the crashy.

This will reinforce going straight back without twisting.

Then do the same but with the backhandspring.

I do this drill because I have found that twisting (not going straight back) is a very common problem when first teaching the backhandspring.

I've had a similar problem on and off. When it happens I'll pull up a whale mat (not sure what other gyms call them, it's like a 3 foot tall resi mat) and do a few jumps to flat back. Then when I go to do the BHS muscle memory takes over and I jump back straight instead over one shoulder.

I would do the jump to flatback on a mat, then progress to backhandspring to handstand pike down, fall to your bottom (with straight legs) on an 8 inch mat. Taking the block from the equation will help you focus on your hand placement more, which depending on how wacky it currently is, could be safer on your joints. I have a couple of softball players doing bh's with odd hand turning that turns into a uneven placement at times from all the pitching practice they do. It happens! When it does I have them do these a few times. For a better understanding of how off turning is making you, chalk your hands and check the prints post bh.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back