Parents Back Pain at the Lower Levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

taylortumbles

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter goes to tumbling for acrobatic gymnastics twice per week, one hour each practice. She has been complaining of back pain recently and I wasn't sure what to make of it. They spend a lot of time on walkovers and handsprings, so I assume this is what is causing the pain. Is this something I should be concerned about?

It could be any thing from poor technique or conditioning, to a serious problem like spondylolisthesis.

See an orthopedic if the pain is not easily managed with ice therapy and over the counter pain relievers, or if the pain persist for more than a week, even if it's mild pain, while using ice and pain relievers.

One of the kids I trained started to develope back pains. He was extremely flexible in the lower back. Ended up having to quit because he had something wrong with his lumbar vertebra which would cause excruciating pain in his back for potentially his whole life if he continued gym. It was a shame as he really enjoyed gym and was about as talented as they come.

Tl;dr get it checked out, it could be something serious.

Even if it turns out to not be something serious, walkovers are hard on the back, especially for those with poor shoulder flexibility. My DD has poor shoulder flexibility, working on this has helped her walkovers, but she still gets a sore back if she does a lot of walkovers in one training session. You could talk to the coach, see if she can limit repetitions of the walkovers.

My daughter goes to tumbling for acrobatic gymnastics twice per week, one hour each practice. She has been complaining of back pain recently and I wasn't sure what to make of it. They spend a lot of time on walkovers and handsprings, so I assume this is what is causing the pain. Is this something I should be concerned about?

yes. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My daughter has poor shoulder and back flexibility, but she has been working on this. Her shoulder flexibility has improved, but still isn't where it should be. She has also been working on scorpions for cheerleading too.

I feel so silly asking these questions when I was gymnast all my life and have coached gymnastics/cheerleading for over 15 years. For some reason when it's my own kid- I draw a blank! It's crazy. I don't get it lol. I guess maybe it's because I've tried so hard to let her develop her own interests and I didn't want my interests to influence hers. I would be happy if she played soccer, the violin, danced, or anything her heart desires. As a coach, I've had so many parents come up to me and tell me how lucky my daughter is because she has access to a coach 24/7, but really she doesn't. She doesn't really like me helping her and I take her elsewhere to be coached because I think it's better for her. Currently I'm only coaching cheerleading, and she does cheer 1 day per week but I have an assistant that I try to put her with most times. Her main sports are Acrobatic Gymnastics and Swimming and I know nothing about those two sports (obviously I know the tumbling skills from acro, but other than that I know nothing lol).

maybe stop the scorpions. scorpions=bad back=gymnasts back=not long for the sport.

In the words of DS's physiotherapist (whom he is seeing for back pain) - Back pain is extremely common in gymnasts but that does not mean that it should ever be considered acceptable.

I would say get some professional advice, no matter what level the gymnast.

I would take her to the doctor without hesitation. It could be nothing but having gone through this with my daughter, it could be something as well.

But I wouldn't wait until it's really hurting to see her doctor.

Your daughter looks young in your photo. This would be another reason I would go to the doctor sooner rather than later.

I would also see an orthopedist who knows athletic kids!

Just my 2 cents.

I asked her to take a break from the scorpions and explained to her that they are hard on her back and her back needs a rest now and then. No complaints since!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back