Back Pain?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yesterday, somehow, I messed up my back. It might have happened on floor, maybe when I flipped to my head on vault (i would think i would hurt my head or neck here, right?), but I noticed it as soon as I went to bars and did a kip. It didn't seem that bad at first but now it hurts really bad.

It hurts when I sit and stand kind of like a dull pain, but when I arch it hurts very bad. When I lay flat on my stomach it doesn't hurt at all.

The funny thing is that it only hurts on my left side of my lower back. Everywhere else is just fine.

Does anyone else know what this is from or what it is? How can I help this? I have a meet in two weeks and I need to practice, how long until I can do gym completely?

Thanks in advance! :)

Tell your parents, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible. Anytime you land on your head or neck you should be examined properly.

Tell your parents, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible. Anytime you land on your head or neck you should be examined properly.

I did not land directly on my head, but i landed on my upper neck. It didn't hurt my head/neck at all but I did get my feet over my head. It did hurt, so maybe that's where the back thing plays in.

My parents probably can't afford to take me to the doctor... :(

Seriously if it hurts tell your parents and see what they say and go from ther either way you still need to tell your parents

One of the most difficult things for young athletes to understand is when they need medical attention and when their discomfort is simply due to the regular wear and tear of physical exertion. If you have pain following an incident in which you landed awkwardly on your head or neck, you should be evaluated by a physician. If your parents do not have insurance that would cover a visit to your regular physician in this case. you can be seen at a local hospital via the emergency room. While that may mean that you may have to wait for some time (bring a good book!), you will be seen by someone who has been trained to evaluate your injury. Please discuss this with your parents. They may be concerned, but they will not be angry, and they will appreciate the fact that you trust them to help you.

My parents tend to think that when I injure myself it's not a big deal and it will pass. It's not just with me, my mom waited for almost a full week before going to go to the ER to find out she broke her foot in four places!

I truly mean no disrespect, but this is not the sport for people who cannot afford to go to the dr. It can be dangerous. It puts your coaches in a very difficult, uncomfortable and potentially unethical position.

Most coaches have to trust that if an athlete needs to be seen by a dr the parents will be willing and able to take them.

Good luck.

Yes, you can injure your lower back by impacting on the neck. You can't blow this off and hope to work through it. You have to tell your parents and if it means waiting in an emergency room, then that's what you'll have to do.
No coach should let you back in the gym until you're checked out and if you're as uncomfortable as you describe, you won't last very long in practice before they notice.

This is so true a girl at my gym landed on her neck and went to the hospital to get it checked out and results came back clear but 6 months later she went back and they did a full back x ray and she had fractured part of her lumber spine and the dr put it back to that incident GO SEE A DOCTOR OR ER OR AT LEAST TELL YOUR PARENTS!!

sorry guys, this whole thread is too much for me. california has free health care just like everywhere else when you don't have money. it's called the emergency room.

You really need to see a doctor. Lots of states have programs to help with medical costs. Also, just wondering, but how can your parents afford gymnastics, but not a doctor? If your parents won't listen, tell a teacher. You can't take a chance on a more permanent injury. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back