WAG round offs on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, so I did post a while back about round offs hurting my achilles tendon however I have come to a new problem with them. My right foot (my good foot) which lands in front of my roundoff on beam has been hurting like CRAZY!! at first on my heel there was a bluish bump which started appearing after doing round offs one day on beam. this bump persisted hurting for a week straight so i would just ice it and it would stop hurting till it got inflamed from doing round offs on beam today. so today, i do round offs and that bump is gone, and a new one appear on my inner heel area and i am having the same issue. hurts-ice-fine till i come back to do roundoffs on beam. but the problem is—i can never stick my roundoffs with an aching heel. my body just won’t allow it. my coach said it’s likely from my chest being down when i land and my front foot must be taking the hit however, i feel like i am getting my chest up the best i can. i don’t know what to do anymore, i also land flat footed, am i supposed to be landing on my toes? please help and maybe what are some drills that could help for getting my chest up so my foot will not cause me any more issues.

1. Prob best to see a medical professional to make sure nothing is wrong with your foot. This sounds sort of strange to only occur with round-offs on beam and not affect you with anything else, but still best to be safe.
2. No landing for anything should be on a fully flat foot. All landings should be with slight bend in the knees, ball of foot down first and then rest of foot quickly follows so it essentially becomes one fluid motion.
3. I am not a gymnast but my kid said to practice doing round-offs on floor over a barrel. So you have to pop pretty high and pull your chest up to clear the barrel for your landing.

Go see an ortho. Inflammation does things like you describe but you need to figure out why so that you can get better. In the meantime, is there another substitute skill you can do instead of the round off?

Go see an ortho. Inflammation does things like you describe but you need to figure out why so that you can get better. In the meantime, is there another substitute skill you can do instead of the round off?
my coach wants me to do the roundoff in my routine but i could do a cartwheel swing through cartwheel to replace it if i really wanted to. however, compared to last night after practice the bump is gone and it just looks like a regular bruise on the side of my inner heel now and has no pain so i am going to try them today and apply the corrections to the best of my ability.

my coach wants me to do the roundoff in my routine but i could do a cartwheel swing through cartwheel to replace it if i really wanted to. however, compared to last night after practice the bump is gone and it just looks like a regular bruise on the side of my inner heel now and has no pain so i am going to try them today and apply the corrections to the best of my ability.
so just an update—roundoffs were not hurting my foot as bad as yesterday! my coach said it looks like i’m thinking more about my chest being up but it’s not up all the way. however, the last 2 i did were a little painful but did not cause me any issues when walking or anything else :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back