WAG Bad Coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Justmehere

Gymnast
I am stating gymnastics in a few weeks at a local YMCA, and I know this place doesn't have very good coaching. How can I make the coach help me with good form, so that it just becomes second nature?

Just do everything with good form.

And realize you are the only one in the gym that can make yourself change from a new beginner to an advanced beginner. The coach....... a good one is a big help, but even a "not so good" one can help a determined student. So far as form goes, your legs have muscles in them that make them stay straight and keep your toes pointed. Learn what those muscles feel like when they do their job, and feel them doing that as you work through the learning process.

Hopefully the coach will turn out knowing more than you think. In any case, the coach is going to know more than you, and you need to give every correction the respect you'd give one coming from one of the best coaches in town.

I am stating gymnastics in a few weeks at a local YMCA, and I know this place doesn't have very good coaching. How can I make the coach help me with good form, so that it just becomes second nature?

Call me crazy but why would you start at a place that you know "doesn't have very good coaching"? Your time and money would be better spent by being at a place that HAS good coaching from the get go...

Bookworm, I don't know about JustMeHere, but I have stayed at the YMCA because of a few reasons. Though I could probably get better coaches and equipment at a different gym, the YMCA is cheaper and easier for my family. Just had to mentions that. :)

Also, don't make assumptions before you actually start! If the coach had absolutely zilch-o idea of gymnastics and coaching, he/she wouldn't be there (hopefully!!!!). Besides, the coach isn't doing the work for you, YOU are doing the work for yourself and your coach is there to assist you.

Bookworm, I don't know about JustMeHere, but I have stayed at the YMCA because of a few reasons. Though I could probably get better coaches and equipment at a different gym, the YMCA is cheaper and easier for my family. Just had to mentions that. :)

I do realize that YMCAs are cheaper, and agree that is probably one of the reasons to consider it, but if the OP already "knows that it is bad coaching" ( maybe she's seen the results or knows kids there , i don't know) I wouldn't begin a program that she feels won't benefit her...it's like burning money in the backyard ...if she were my child, I would either find a program with decent coaching , and if there was nothing in our area or price range, I would steer her interests to something else...

I'm kind of confused. Either you are jumping to a conclusion about the coaching being bad, which is kind of unfair to the coach without giving them a chance. Or if you know for sure the coaching there is bad, I don't understand why would you go there at all...

I'm kind of confused. Either you are jumping to a conclusion about the coaching being bad, which is kind of unfair to the coach without giving them a chance. Or if you know for sure the coaching there is bad, I don't understand why would you go there at all...

In a perfect world this kid would go to the best gym possible which may, in fact, be exactly what she's doing. If this were a television commercial, right about now images of despondent children with sad puppy dog eyes would begin to slowly scroll down the screen in an ethereal mist while the foreground portrays action from inside a well equipped, and staffed, gym club with happy kids conquering the Holy Grails of gymnastics running about in complete bliss. An accompanying voice over would beg all good people with a shred of decency in their hearts to support the local 'Y and it's effort to bring quality gymnastics to the downtrodden and disenfranchised masses.

Whoops, back to reality in the USA. I can understand your confusion if you're from a country or community with sport programs sponsored by the government. I don't know much about anything outside the 'states, but I kinda get the impression there's programs in many communities abroad that are funded with public money and adhere to a reasonable standard.

Here, it's very different. Gym clubs are, with very few exceptions, private for profit businesses that charge enough money to make it difficult for some families to send their Susie to gymnastics....... and that's assuming there's a gym within a reasonable distance. So sometimes a child will just take what can be found, because it's fun, and while they may not breeze through the levels they can still learn some fun skills, get stronger, and dream about he next skill they'll learn.

Sometimes...... it's better to not grow up, and just appreciate what gifts you have.

IWC I do know what you mean. Not all the coaches here are totally amazing either. I just don't think it is a good attitude to go in to a gym thinking that the coaching will be 'bad'. I think there is a difference between 'bad' coaching and 'not so good' coaching. With 'not so good' coaching you may not reach your potential. 'Bad' coaching sounds like it will do more harm than good. I completely agree with your post above:

even a "not so good" one can help a determined student.
Hopefully the coach will turn out knowing more than you think. In any case, the coach is going to know more than you, and you need to give every correction the respect you'd give one coming from one of the best coaches in town.

Give the coach a chance, talk to the coach about your goals. In general coaches love it when gymnasts are keen and motivated. With this approach you might get the best out of your coach, so they can get the best out of you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back