WAG Bad habits and twisting direction?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stargazer

Gymnast
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help with two things, and your collective wisdom and expertise would be greatly appreciated! I am trying to fix my bad habit of piking my hips in my front tucks, and looking for some clarification on twisting direction. Here is a video my friend made of me, the front tuck is at about 0:08 seconds, Emma's December tumbling, 2012 - YouTube . I know what I'm doing wrong, I shoot my feet forward but bend at the hips and end up travelling forward instead of up, but I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. Any good drills or advice? It's a long ingrained bad habit and it's driving me nuts.

Also: I've been playing around with half on half off's on vault. I am a left twister and do right-handed/footed round-offs. A right-footed round-off is a left twisting skill right? So when I do the half-on, I twist left like in a right-handed round-off, but then I have to 'unwind' in order to twist left off the vault. Is this correct? One of the guy gymnasts (very knowledgeable, used to coach) says I should continue twisting in the same direction instead of 'unwinding', but that wouldn't that be twisting to the right? Sorry I don't have a video. I think my confusion comes from twisting 'backwards' to get onto the vault and then turning around and twisting forwards, and it would be wonderful if someone could take the time to explain this to me, and how/if a right-handed round-off is a left twisting skill.

I'm a 20 year-old adult gymnast and I retired about 6 months ago but still go to adult rec to stay in the sport and keep up my skills.

Thanks in advance :)

Ok, I'm not a gymnast anymore, but I just wanted to let you know this twisting direction thing has very recently (December?) been discussed on this forum in great detail in a thread I started with a question about my daughter, the thread id titled Lefty Gymnast?. Dunno is the resident expert in all things gymnastic and gavesome excellent info in that thread on twisting direction etc. From what I recall, a righty roundoff is a left twisting skill... and he also talks about that winding up thing you mentioned. Check it out.

Do an imaginary round off where you stay on your feet the whole time and just move your arms/hands in the air in front of you the way you would in a round off. Stick your leg out in front of you if it helps you remember which "direction" to go. Which way is your torso "twisting" relative to your legs?

Thanks, I went back and read the whole discussion and it really helped clear up some things (mainly how a right round-off is a left twisting skill), but it didn't explain my half-on half-off issues. Dunno, if you're reading this could you please continue your explanation? I don't think you ended up continuing onto the half-on half-off scenario. Basically I would like to know if it is correct that I have to 'untwist' when transitioning from the half-on (backwards) to the half-off (forwards)?

And if anyone has input on my front tucks I would really appreciate it. I'm having the hardest time getting my body in the correct position for the set/punch and I don't know what to do anymore to fix it. Thanks!!

Thanks everyone :) If anyone has any ideas for my front tucks please share! I'm back in the gym tonight and would love to have some drills to try out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back