WAG Ballet class

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ollieblueeyes

Proud Parent
DD has expressed interest in a ballet class over the summer to improve her dance. In a previous thread a poster made a comment to make sure to take a real ballet class. DD is 12 and all I have found is more serious ballet for girls with years of training or a 2 week hip-hop camp.

Do you honk a serious ballet school offers real ballet to non-dancers? Would a summer camp type ballet class give her anything? I expect she will be training lvl5 this summer at about 16 hrs so she will not have too much time to spare.

The competitive dance studios with the highest quality dancers will have technique classes for their competitive/company dancers for ballet and leaps and turns. This is separate from the rehearsals for their competitive dancers. Give a couple of them a call, they would probably welcome a competitive gymnast in a technique class.

I managed to get DD into a techniques class for an hour a week, slotted in on one of her non-gym days.

Spoke to the teacher, explained why DD wanted to do ballet, which she completely understood. The class is split into beginners but have no desire to perform, and those there for other reasons (eg gymnasts), so she's been able to tailor the class to suit.

DD has only been going about 2 months, so time will tell if it's actually been beneficial :)

(My oldest is a serious dance student)
Most ballet studios tend to cater their summer programs (intensives) to students who already dance, whether they are traveling from elsewhere or enrolled in the studio the rest of the year. In addition, some offer "ongoing" classes which basically is extra technique classes to keep their dancers working over the long break.... But that's again catered to the students already doing dance.
You could get lucky and find a studio that does actual classes for people learning over summer, but it won't be common. Ballet in general does lessons through the school year and use the summers to "enrich" and do intensives, most students past intermediate level travel away for summer intensives. Some studios don't offer anything at all over the summer, sending all dancers away or encouraging other activities and a break from dance (depending on age and level).
Totally different ball game than gymnastics, lol!
Good luck, I hope you find a place she can take class! :)

My dd took ballet 2 summers and jazz 2 summers at my other dd dance studio. It helped her as she was state champ on floor after that first summer and the jazz helped her in optionals the last 2 seasons she had a very jazzy routine. Looking at the new routines in compulsory I believe ballet would help a lot.

If she is 12 you could try to get her into an adult class. Some schools will take kids as young as 12 or 14 in their adult classes. They may or may not keep adult classes running over the summer.

A summer class at a community college might be another option. That would get her up to speed more quickly, as it would probably meet multiple times a week and cover a semester's worth of material in a few weeks.

Last year my daughter took a ballet class. Although she had fun it really wasn't what I was looking for. It was a group class

This year her and one of her other gymnast friends take a private ballet class weekly. Although it is expensive we are getting exactly what we want.

I have found it most helpful for the girls dance, improvement in their turns and jumps and balance.

If she is 12 you could try to get her into an adult class. Some schools will take kids as young as 12 or 14 in their adult classes. They may or may not keep adult classes running over the summer.

A summer class at a community college might be another option. That would get her up to speed more quickly, as it would probably meet multiple times a week and cover a semester's worth of material in a few weeks.

Good point - I think an adult class would be perfect if they'll accept her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back