Bars bruise my hips so bad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
I know it's probably normal but sometimes when I let the bar hit my stomach area more it eases the pain instead of hitting the bones of my hips. They are always blue and purple and sting.

It happens to me too! :( what I try to do to prevent it is when I cast I try not to slam against the bars when I come down if that makes sense lol

My hips used to bruise so bad you could see it through lighter coloured leotards :eek:. Tape a piece of pool noodle on, does the trick without being terribly thick. Good for heels too when learning releases and giants between the bars!

You may end up solving this problem by learning how to reach into the bar with your hips leading the way, and then bending with some resistance as you touch the bar. It Can't always be done this way because some skills put you in a position that can't be shaped or altered for the purpose of absorbing shock.

For those skills.......

Here's a variation of All Chalked Up's idea.... just in case you can't find a pool noodle, or feel it's a bit too thick.

Go to a home improvement or hardware store and look for pipe insulation. It comes in different varieties, but you should be able to find them made of firm foam in a size that will fit pretty well around the bar. The insulation usually comes in 3 to 4 foot sections, so get one and cut off a 10 to 14 inch length of it (depending on your size) and put it around the bar as if the bar were a pipe. Keep it help in place with whatever tape you can find........ athletic tape works great, and tape the entire length of it.... not just at each end and the middle.

You can put on a second piece for team mates that want to use the padding but are too small or too big for the one you made for your size. Both pads can be pushed opposite ends of the rail to make room for regular work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back