WAG Bars Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, I know that bars is (for many people) the hardest event, and often the one holding you back from going to the next level, whatever that may be. I recently switched gyms and was told at my old gym that my problem on bars was lack of strength, and I know that bars is an event where you really can't get by on technique alone, you need to be strong for good bars. Now, at my new gym, they've made it very clear to me that I am actually am really strong (I can do 10+ pullups, 25 leg lifts, about 60 V-ups and 60 push-ups in a minute, between 50-100 flutters/scissors hanging on the bar) I'm not in tremendous shape, but I am strong.

However, I can't do ANYTHING on bars. Can barely cast to horizontal, kips have nasty bent arms (no chance of casting out them) can't get over a giant even on straps, free hip barely gets to 45 degrees below horizontal.... Is there anything I can do to help this other than training bars like a madman as I've been doing for the past 4 years?? Everything about my bars is just so off, and it's frustrating me because I'm more than ready to move up to my next level on the other events. :(

Sorry this is quite long and very general, I've never posted before, and not quite sure how to do it!

I'm not sure. I would definitely talk to your coaches about it. What level are you? It could be that your timing isn't right (but that would mainly be for the kip) or you aren't shifting your hands when you need to (in the free hip and giant).

Thanks for the replies! I think the timing thing is a good point... I'm repeating prep platinum for the third year. I'll ask my coaches what they think because bars is very frustrating for me!

Start kipping with locked elbows, even if it means not making them for a month. Rounded shoulders, think of a turtle shape. Work your shapes on straps, tap to letter C, tap to baby giant etc.... give us an update in 30 days.

Start kipping with locked elbows, even if it means not making them for a month. Rounded shoulders, think of a turtle shape. Work your shapes on straps, tap to letter C, tap to baby giant etc.... give us an update in 30 days.
I tried the kips with straight arms for about four months last season.... Led to me getting very frustrated and wanting to quit for a while but I think with more maturity this year it might work. When you say tap to letter C what do you mean? I've never heard that term before.... Do you mean hollow in the front?

Sounds like you are plenty strong enough to do the skills you are looking to do. I would hope that your new gym will spend more time, and maybe have some new ideas about you and bars. Bars takes more time than any event to get good at, but it does sound like you are pretty far behind. Give your new gym and coaches a little time, and as mentioned let us know. Good luck, and don't give up. :)

Ok that makes sense with the hollow I will try that thank you! My new gym has many girls who are weaker than me but have much stronger bars so I'm more hopeful here that bars will work out!

Hi guys! The bars have been going better, so I just thought I'd say thanks for the help :) my kips, free hips and casts still aren't great but I've been able to start connecting skills, and I've gotten my giant on straps (it's actually really good! open shoulders, hollow over the top) I'm working cast handstands now, and my free hips are only about horizontal, but hopefully I'll keep getting better! Thanks!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back