WAG beam balance issues-possibly from Sever's?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amber

Proud Parent
Last year, beam was DD's best event (level 3). This year, she started out great, but has major bouts of balance issues, that seem to correlate to Sever's flare ups. Her mount, handstand, tuck jump are fine, as well as the dismount. Everything else she is fighting to keep her balance. What I see, as she is trying to keep her balance, is she is rolling to the outsides of her soles of her feet. Especially when she is on one foot. She has a narrow foot with a low arch. Beam, not vault, hurts her heels the most. This rolling to the outside of her feet comes and goes. I feel bad for her, because for weeks she will be on fire, and then she can barely stay up there. Ironically, cartwheels and BWOs work fine for her. It is the one legged standing positions that seem to be the worst.
Any suggestions to help her?

What does she do during a Severs-flare up? Does she wear the protective heel cups? Ice? Rest?

she has Tuli Cheetah Heel cups, ices before and after practice, and takes Advil before practice. She only has it in her right heel, which is the one that stays on the beam during one legged stances. If it doesn't resolve, she wears sneakers for floor and vault. This is her third bout with it. She often denies pain, but I am starting to see a pattern on beam....she knows I will pull her from practice if necessary. I am wondering if she is compensating on beam by rolling to the outside of her soles, or maybe it could be coincidence?

Could be...you don't want that 'rolling out' to become a habit though as that could cause issues. I noticed a somewhat similar 'foot' issue with my daughter when she grew. She used to be able to fit her feet comfortable side-by-side on the beam and when she and her feet grew, she turned her feet in. Way ugly way to do beam! It took some time to adjust, but she doesn't do that anymore.

Severs or not, maybe you can have a chat with her coach about how to help her with this..."if you feel off balance, rather than rolling out your foot, tighten your leg and core muscles, chest up, etc...". Give her a strategy to employ when she feels wobbly...maybe that will help take the pressure off her heels and those techniques are ones that will be long lasting as she outgrows the Severs.

I will definitely do that! I am so happy when I hear the words "when she outgrows Severs"...now, to keep everything on track so Severs doesn't wreck her form....

It might be worthwhile seeing a physiotherapist, especially if you can find one experienced with gymnastics, or alternatively, dance. There might be exercises she can do that could help. When my DD had an ankle problem partly caused by her feet rolling in, she was given lots of stretching and strengthening exercises to do, including foot exercises and exercises involving the calf muscles.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back