WAG Beam Connection and a Fall

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
DD's coach told her tonight that if she fell on her BWO BWO series that she wouldn't get credit for the connection even if she landed both on the second try. DD asked if there is any point in trying it again if there's no connection. She was always told at level 6 to redo the BWO if they fell (especially if they didn't get their foot on). Thoughts? Should a gymnast try the connection again if they fall?

Her coach told her that it's different in a BWO BHS series. Thanks as always.

Is this for L7? My DD1 never competed this series, but I remember her telling me something about this...something about not being able to get credit for doing 3 of the same skill in a beam routine. Her teammates that competed this were told if they fell before getting a foot on the beam in the 1st BWO, to get up and try the series again. If they fell after the 1st BWO, but before landing the 2nd then they could attempt another different series (handstand stepdown + BWO or tick tock + BWO) If they fell after landing the 2nd BWO, as long as their series was connected, they should get credit for it so they should just go on with the routine.

This wouldn't apply to BWO + BHS, since they are 2 unique skills and reattempting doesn't require any skill to be done 3 times.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable will jump in here...it has been a few years, so maybe this rule has changed...

Yes, in optionals, the 3rd time you do a skill it is as if it does not receive any credit. So, yes, you can re-try the BWO-BHS but not the BWO-BWO. My dd did L7 last year and in 2 meets she had a slight wobble after the first BWO which would void the connection, so she then did the Handstand BWO so that she would still get credit for the series.

Huh. Makes you wonder why this is such a common combo to have in level 7 then. It's in my DD's routine. But her dismount is a cartwheel back tuck. If she connected them, would they also count as a series, or would they not count because it's the dismount?

Huh. Makes you wonder why this is such a common combo to have in level 7 then. It's in my DD's routine. But her dismount is a cartwheel back tuck. If she connected them, would they also count as a series, or would they not count because it's the dismount?

The acro series needs to start and finish on the beam. It is a popular series because a connected BWO BHS takes a longer time for most kids to learn because it is "scarier."

The acro series needs to start and finish on the beam. It is a popular series because a connected BWO BHS takes a longer time for most kids to learn because it is "scarier."

Bummer. Yes, my DD is still dealing with fear issues with her BHS on high beam. I think this is her first real "I can't make myself do this even though I know I can" fear.

yep! youbetcha :)
rule of thumb-bwo, miss- repeat series
bwo touch foot, miss/fall- do handstand bwo
bwo,bwo touch feet, fall- continue routine
It is still a good series to teach because it offers a better progression toward bwo-bhs, bhs-bhs, bhs-bloso.

Thanks for the responses as always. Two follow-up questions:

1. If the gymnast falls on the first BWO, can you redo both and get the connection? The comments above said the optional gymnast doesn't get credit for 3 of same skill, but I'm wondering if you get any credit if you don't complete the skill (i.e., no foot on beam) so that you can redo and at least get the connection.

2. I think I read once in another thread that a gymnast couldn't get credit for 3 straddle jumps on floor. I understand that based on the discussion above. However, if one of the straddle jumps is done with a full turn associated with it (which I think is a dance C), is that considered a separate skill from the A straddle? This question could apply to any jump. If the skill is changed by a turn or other variance such that it has a different value, can you get credit for 3 (because it's not 3 of the same skill)? Hopefully, this question make sense.

DD had a kind of interesting reaction to all this. She's been taught that the normal progression is BWO-BWO, BWO-BHS and then BHS-BHS. She's also been taught that you don't need to overdo skills in a routine (i.e., it's great you can do a FWO on beam but if you don't need for L7 then why do it). That was sort of her attitiude towards the BWO-BHS series (don't need so why spend a lot of time on it). She now regrets it. She has it pretty consistently on the low beam, so I think the fall information on the BWO series has reinvigorated her sense of urgency on the more advanced connection.

Last edited:
My daughter hasn't done a back walkover on beam since Level 6. For level 7, she didn't do the back handspring due to fear issues but instead did cartwheel roundoff as her connection (flight?) series. Sorry, don't know what it's called! I guess this means they don't 'have' to do a back walkover or a back handspring for Level 7 beam?? My daughter scored in the low 9s on beam last year (level 7)....Happy to say she has just about conquered the back handspring fear on beam now and is also working on back tucks on the low beams. We'll see how it goes!

My daughter hasn't done a back walkover on beam since Level 6. For level 7, she didn't do the back handspring due to fear issues but instead did cartwheel roundoff as her connection (flight?) series. Sorry, don't know what it's called! I guess this means they don't 'have' to do a back walkover or a back handspring for Level 7 beam?? My daughter scored in the low 9s on beam last year (level 7)....Happy to say she has just about conquered the back handspring fear on beam now and is also working on back tucks on the low beams. We'll see how it goes!
They need a series of at least 2 skills (no flight needed, so can be cartwheel-cartwheel or bwo-bwo) AND a flight skill (ro & bhs are most common). So the flight skill CAN be a part of the series OR done separately.
Up until 2008ish level 7s could NOT include the flight skill in their series, so that's how lots of gym got stuck on bwo-bwo or tick tock-bwo.

Thanks for the responses as always. Two follow-up questions:

1. If the gymnast falls on the first BWO, can you redo both and get the connection? The comments above said the optional gymnast doesn't get credit for 3 of same skill, but I'm wondering if you get any credit if you don't complete the skill (i.e., no foot on beam) so that you can redo and at least get the connection.

2. I think I read once in another thread that a gymnast couldn't get credit for 3 straddle jumps on floor. I understand that based on the discussion above. However, if one of the straddle jumps is done with a full turn associated with it (which I think is a dance C), is that considered a separate skill from the A straddle? This question could apply to any jump. If the skill is changed by a turn or other variance such that it has a different value, can you get credit for 3 (because it's not 3 of the same skill)? Hopefully, this question make sense.

DD had a kind of interesting reaction to all this. She's been taught that the normal progression is BWO-BWO, BWO-BHS and then BHS-BHS. She's also been taught that you don't need to overdo skills in a routine (i.e., it's great you can do a FWO on beam but if you don't need for L7 then why do it). That was sort of her attitiude towards the BWO-BHS series (don't need so why spend a lot of time on it). She now regrets it. She has it pretty consistently on the low beam, so I think the fall information on the BWO series has reinvigorated her sense of urgency on the more advanced connection.

1. No, if you fall on the first, the first still counts (unless neither feet touch at all that may be different), so the 3rd will not count as any type of skill and then you do not get the connection.
2. I'm pretty sure that is a separate skill and different.
BWO-BHS is great if they can get it, because if they fall they can do it over. My dd had planned originally to do that at L7, but then a broken wrist that summer interfered with plans. And yes, they can do other combinations like other posters have said, but most gyms do prefer that they do the progression you mention above as it progressively builds and then the BHS-BHS progresses intoBHS- BLO if they continue that far. Good luck to your daughter! I think Optionals is so much fun!

Up until 2008ish level 7s could NOT include the flight skill in their series, so that's how lots of gym got stuck on bwo-bwo or tick tock-bwo.

Well they could, but the SR was was two non flight acro skills. So kids were doing BWO BWO BHS. Or tick tock BWO BHS.Then they went to the change because that was kind of silly.

Also they can connect into the dismount i.e. BWO BHS into back tuck dismount, because the two connected skills would be on the beam (the BWO BHS part).

They need a series of at least 2 skills (no flight needed, so can be cartwheel-cartwheel or bwo-bwo) AND a flight skill (ro & bhs are most common). So the flight skill CAN be a part of the series OR done separately.

Well last year I was wishing my dds coach would have allowed that option. She became an expert at falling. She fell at every meet but state. She fell on the first bwo alot :(. Very frustrating as a parent to watch her struggle. But now she has a decent bhs bhs on beam and will probably do that for lv 8.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back