Parents Beam handstand fall deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jazzjerz

Proud Parent
Can someone explain to me the deduction range for falling on a level 4 beam handstand? What determines whether they get credit for the skill or not, or if they are deducted for both the fall, and a missing element? In this case, the gymnast kicked up to handstand too hard, had both feet together, and then just went over the end of the beam. She maybe held the handstand position for 1 second.

Have to chuckle because you must be talking about my DD who did the exact same thing yesterday at her L4 meet! She never re-did the handstand, and I asked about it after the meet (for some reason I thought unless one foot touched back down it didn't count). So I'm curious to hear the responses too...

I'm not 100 percent sure but I don't think they get credit unless they land at least one foot back on the beam after the handstand. So she probably got deducted for missing element plus a fall. The fall is .5 not sure how much for missing element.

They have to land a foot on the beam to get credit for the skill, then just get the fall deduction. Otherwise they lose the value of the skill AND the fall deduction. This happened to DD on the cartwheel. She went clean off the beam, didn't repeat the skill (coaches did NOT tell her this tidbit of information) and got killed on her score. If there's a foot down on the beam (even just barely) the skill should count and they would just get the fall deduction. Otherwise it's worth repeating the skill IF they can do it successfully and end up with a possible time deduction, which is less.

Have to chuckle because you must be talking about my DD who did the exact same thing yesterday at her L4 meet! She never re-did the handstand, and I asked about it after the meet (for some reason I thought unless one foot touched back down it didn't count). So I'm curious to hear the responses too...

At least they got back up and finished, right! :)

They have to land a foot on the beam to get credit for the skill, then just get the fall deduction. Otherwise they lose the value of the skill AND the fall deduction. This happened to DD on the cartwheel. She went clean off the beam, didn't repeat the skill (coaches did NOT tell her this tidbit of information) and got killed on her score. If there's a foot down on the beam (even just barely) the skill should count and they would just get the fall deduction. Otherwise it's worth repeating the skill IF they can do it successfully and end up with a possible time deduction, which is less.

Thanks! I knew on the cartwheel they had to get a foot back down in order for it to count. I just wasn't sure if it was the same for the handstand, since I guess technically she hit the handstand at the top. Does that make sense?

What is the deduction for not getting the handstand credit?

Wow -- 8.85 with that deduction is amazing! Mine got 8.45 -- but had a small bobble on cartwheel (the skill I was actually worried about) and other small deductions along the way. Was scary to watch that handstand go over, but happy to see she was going for it!

I don't know if all judges take it that way, although they should. I had a kid at states last year get over a 9 doing this, which obviously isn't possible. She did hold it one second so I was wondering if the judges decided that since she held it that completed the skill (which is not technically correct as far as any rules I can find but kind of makes sense). I would have eyeballed the routine around 9.5-9.6 so I believe they deducted a fall.

I don't know if all judges take it that way, although they should. I had a kid at states last year get over a 9 doing this, which obviously isn't possible. She did hold it one second so I was wondering if the judges decided that since she held it that completed the skill (which is not technically correct as far as any rules I can find but kind of makes sense). I would have eyeballed the routine around 9.5-9.6 so I believe they deducted a fall.

This is interesting! My DD scored 9.05 with a fall just like OP's DD's. She had a beautiful routine but went into her handstand too fast, feet met, came down on the other side, hopped back up and "finished" w/o redoing the handstand. I was really surprised at her score, although it was an awesome routine w/o the fall. I assumed they just took a fall deduction and maybe a form break or something.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back