WAG Beam Shoes, help please!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rainn14322

Proud Parent
So what are the rules regarding beam shoes. My DD is an 11 yo training 5/6/7 (we'll see where she falls come competition season). She has a severe case of hyperhidrosis (sweating condition) and over the last year and a half has fractured her growth plate in her shoulder and was out for several months and has cracked her face on the beam due to this. I've seen college and higher level optional girls use beam shoes but have no idea if and what restrictions there are in USAG JO about using them. I thought I'd inquire here before bringing up the conversation at the gym. Any information or advice would be helpful!! Pros or cons from parents of gymnasts who use them are welcomed as well!!! THANKS!!!

I used them for a while, I think anyone can use them. I stop using them for a few meets because I cut my toe right where the seam ran over my foot and cause it to hurt, but besides that I never had a problem with them.

My daughter's teammate uses them. She is also 11 and training for L6/7 and has feet that sweat. She wears them for vault and beam. She started wearing them a year ago for L4. We noticed that her beam scores decreased from L3 with what looked like the same quality routines in L4, while the rest of the teams scores increased. We think that it's because she has white shoes and it is now very noticeable when her foot flexes. I don't know if it's an option, but in my opinion nude color would make the feet less noticeable. She has been very happy with the shoes. On a side note, if you do get them make sure you have back ups. My daughter's teammate only had 1 pair and her toe popped through the day before state.

Our gym requires shoes. At meets they are optional for beam. My girl goes barefoot at meets.

I recently told my 7 year old to ask her coach prior to going on the beam if she could chalk up her hands and feet. this seems to work for her even though her hands are usually sweaty. There is also a liquid chalk in a tube that works for her, it might be another alternative.

Has she tried antiperspirant on her feet? I've heard of that I believe in another thread.

Has she tried antiperspirant on her feet? I've heard of that I believe in another thread.
Yeah, there are a bunch of things you can get on eBay that are used by weightlifters and competitive pole dancers use.

If you search for pole dancer and posts by me you should find some things my sister recommended.

Your gym has them train in shoes and then compete without them?
Yep.

Again, they can wear them at meets on the events they can. 99% of the girls chose not to but to attend our gym you are required to wear gymnastic shoes.

That is rather bizarre to me...what is the reason for that policy? I've just never heard anything like that so I'm genuinely curious.

Deleted member 18037, do the girls mind at all? My team used to be required to wear shoes on all events and when the coaches decided to switch everyone to barefoot on every event but vault, it was a long process getting comfortable, especially on beam! I admire anyone able to make that transition from one day to another.

If it is for hygiene reasons it is kind of ironic as they presumably aren't making them wear gloves, and gymnast hands are going to get just as sweaty and dirty as gymnast feet!

If it is for hygiene reasons it is kind of ironic as they presumably aren't making them wear gloves, and gymnast hands are going to get just as sweaty and dirty as gymnast feet!
I assume it is about hygiene. But I believe more about what gets tracked in on feet vs hands. Or the coach could just be OCD about feet.

Either way its the coaches gym, their rules. The why really doesn't matter.

Deleted member 18037, do the girls mind at all? My team used to be required to wear shoes on all events and when the coaches decided to switch everyone to barefoot on every event but vault, it was a long process getting comfortable, especially on beam! I admire anyone able to make that transition from one day to another.

No they don't seem to mind at all, nor does seem to affect their performance. We are typically 1st place finishers as team at most of our meets, and if not first, we are on the podium. And the girls are typically on the podium in all events.

There might be one or 2 girls who wear their shoes at meets, but the girls seem to transition rather seamlessly.

My DD has extremely sweaty feet. I can see her foot prints on the hardwood when she walks!!! She chalks her feet up before beam. She uses tons of chalk, her feet look white.

One of DD's teammates uses flesh-toned beam shoes to counteract sweaty feet. Her beam scores really didn't change much but her confidence certainly did. She is also one who has very sweaty feet.

I would also think it is easier to go from shoes to no shoes rather then
No shoes to shoes.

No they don't seem to mind at all, nor does seem to affect their performance. We are typically 1st place finishers as team at most of our meets, and if not first, we are on the podium. And the girls are typically on the podium in all events.

There might be one or 2 girls who wear their shoes at meets, but the girls seem to transition rather seamlessly.

That's great then! I was just curious!

If you go the antiperspirant route, make sure it is aerosol spray antiperspirant. The stick makes it worse.

Also make sure the shoes are nude, and tight. I recommend ordering a half size smaller than normal shoe size.

They stink, so air them out well. Baking soda works well to deodorize, as does the combo of spray antiperspirant on feet + baking soda.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back