Bhs Bwo seires

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Optionals United

Moderator/Gymnast
Coach
Gymnast
Ok, in a different thread I read that bhs bwo isnt counted as a seires in some states. My friend was wondering if it is counted as a seires in CA where she lives,because she is interested in doing it for level 8 this year.

Thanks,
Optinals rocks!!

It's my understanding that this is a valid series for USAG, although many level 8s do BHS-BHS. But I think the requirement is for a dynamic series (ie. two or more "moving" skills; a handstand-BHS, for example, would not satisfy the requirement because the handstand is not a moving skill).

Yes she was working bhs bhs but then couldn't get over her fear after taking a bad fall. She was then told that she was going to compete level 7 again. Since then she has been looking for a seires to do while maintaining her bhs bhs on low beam.

Anyone else who has answer is free to reply.:D

:: USA Gymnastics :: Home Page ::

BEAM
1. Acro series- min. of 2 elements,
1 with flight. (Both must start & finish
on beam.)

2. One leap/jump requiring 180° split
(Isolated or in a series)
3. Minimum of 360° turn on one foot
4. Aerial or salto dismount, min. A

BWO BHS should satisfy this, unless there's some update I'm missing?

.... AND .... I just found out that a cartwheel RO is also considered a valid series for Level 8!!! I was amazed by that.

Yep, same here in GB, my level 4 gymnasts have to have an acro series of min 2 elements, 1 with flight - One of my gymnasts is not going to get her bwo-bhs so we are working on cartwheel - Roundoff. It's a bit odd, but it fulfills her requirement and we are continuing to work on the bhs on floor beam!

I think the only problem I have been told about tha particular seriese BHS BWO is that it is difficult to always conect.

A judge told us that last year at a clinic a gymnast i know did however manage to connect it pretty well all year.

Best wishes to your friend the beam seems to be a thorn for some.

in level 8 you have to do a 2 flight series, bhs bhs for example. if you do a bwo bhs i know you start from a 9.8, so i guess it would be the same for bhs bwo....?

in level 8 you have to do a 2 flight series, bhs bhs for example. if you do a bwo bhs i know you start from a 9.8, so i guess it would be the same for bhs bwo....?

If a gymnast fulfills all of the requirements in L8, she starts from a 10.0 SV. Routines with a connected BWO BHS or BHS BWO (and all other requirements) would start from a 10.

Also, I want to be clear that a BHS BWO is not considered an inherently unconnectable series in any state. It is very difficult to connect it cleanly, which is why many girls don't get credit for the connection, but the series itself is connectable.

Last edited:
I just wanted to agree that BHS BWO is a connectable series that would fulfill requirements for USAG Level 8. Other leagues may have different rules, and they may also have Special Requirements worth .2 resulting in a 9.8 Start Value.

I often see BHS BHS, BWO BHS, BHS BWO, and Cartwheel Roundoff as flight series at L8, all of which I have given credit for on multiple occassions.

Ok, she asked her coach tonight if she could try it and her coach barely said yes. Her coach stated"okay,but judges hate to see that seires" She made a couple,but her coach said its to bad that you still don't have you bhs bhs on high beam, or you would be able to compete 8 this year. Her coach thinks that you only score high with bwo bhs and bhs bhs cause they are such cookiw cutter level 8 seires.

Judges, do you not like seeing bhs bwo for level 8???? I see it as an slightly eaiser seires for those who have trouble with beam and fear.

Thanks

jUst wondering why she cant do bwo bhs? Much easier to connect??

I had a gymnast who competed a front walkover into a Roundoff (connected to a back tuck dismount) last year. It was great for her bc she was afraid to go backwards on beam.

I just wanted to agree that BHS BWO is a connectable series that would fulfill requirements for USAG Level 8. Other leagues may have different rules, and they may also have Special Requirements worth .2 resulting in a 9.8 Start Value.

Yeah, that's true-- I only judge USAG and the occasional local league meet, which uses USAG rules for optionals. :)

And from a judging standpoint, I really don't care what the gymnast does for her series as long as it fulfills the requirement.

I fully agree with gymkat. It isn't my job to "not like" a series, its my job to determine if it is connected and fulfills the requirement. So, any of the series discussed in this thread are essentially the same from a judges standpoint. Of course, the other parts of the routine might determine other composition deductions such as lack of acro moving fwd/side and back, or acro up to the competitive level, but that is a whole different thing than fulfilling the requirement and getting credit.

Ok thanks everyone! I will tell what you guys said. I just hope her coach lets her work this seires so she can compete levvel 8 this season.

gympanda or gymkat- for usag level 8 if my friend did switchleap,full turn, split jump straight jump 3/4,bwo bhs,and cartwheel/roundoff layou dismount. Would she start from a 10 if eerything is connected and done correctly???

Yeah, I, too, don't like the "judges dont like it" discussion. To me it's mostly an excuse for coaches to justify their personal taste. As a judge there isn't a lot you can do about it, really. There are set execution deductions and set requirements, obviously, it's a very subjective sport so it's hard to be sure about such issues because it might happen subconsciously. Personally though, I don't make a conscious decision to be stricter due to skill selection. Mostly it's a case of the gymnast who struggles with "ideal" (i.e. skills that progress into higher levels) skills not being as ready overall as some other gymnasts and the lower scores will be due to details in execution more than anything else (again, there are obvious exceptions when fear sets in).

for usag level 8 if my friend did switchleap,full turn, split jump straight jump 3/4,bwo bhs,and cartwheel/roundoff layou dismount. Would she start from a 10 if eerything is connected and done correctly???

Yes, these eight skills (done correctly with connection on the split jump/straight 3/4 dance series & the acro series) would fulfill all requirements, as well as eliminate the major composition deductions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back